Map updates.

softoprascalsoftoprascal Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 11 in Speed Cameras
Hello everyone.
This issue has only become noticeable over the last 6 months.
Along at least 4 stretches of the M62 in Yorkshire and Lancashire the app thinks it’s an Average Speed Zone which it isn’t. However along part of this there is new overhead speed cameras that I cant report via the app as it thinks I’m in an average speed check area so won’t allow it.
I rang TT and was advised using the Map Reporter, but as I explained I’m too busy watching the road to know where I am on the road to add these errors.

Long story short I thought TT worked with the Highways Agency so would be aware of what areas are average speed zones and which aren’t.

Are these things what only appear in the quarterly map updates or are they live features?

Typically they also said uninstall and reinstall the app, which I did do some time ago yet still the errors are there.

Im all for user corrections etc but isn’t it up to TT to get what I consider major things correct such as the aforementioned?

Ive used the app for as long as it’s been around and previously standalone devices but I’m now beginning to lose confidence in the whole thing.

Comments

• BrianEBrianE Posts: 411 [Revered Navigator]
    Hello everyone.
    This issue has only become noticeable over the last 6 months.
    Along at least 4 stretches of the M62 in Yorkshire and Lancashire the app thinks it’s an Average Speed Zone which it isn’t. However along part of this there is new overhead speed cameras that I cant report via the app as it thinks I’m in an average speed check area so won’t allow it.
    I rang TT and was advised using the Map Reporter, but as I explained I’m too busy watching the road to know where I am on the road to add these errors.

Long story short I thought TT worked with the Highways Agency so would be aware of what areas are average speed zones and which aren’t.

Are these things what only appear in the quarterly map updates or are they live features?

Typically they also said uninstall and reinstall the app, which I did do some time ago yet still the errors are there.

Im all for user corrections etc but isn’t it up to TT to get what I consider major things correct such as the aforementioned?

Ive used the app for as long as it’s been around and previously standalone devices but I’m now beginning to lose confidence in the whole thing.
    I'm afraid TomTom, if they really exist, are fast heading towards becoming totally inept.
    BrianE
  • softoprascalsoftoprascal Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I happen to agree and I’ve been a TT user over 12 years, I’m not sure what the best alternative is for all round things like live traffic, speed cameras etc.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 411 [Revered Navigator]
    I don't think there is a real alternative at the moment as the main competitor (and we all know who I mean) is worse - no live traffic; even poorer routing than TomTom; unclear directions at major roundabouts; no pre-planning on the web, but on the plus side, less-sluggish hardware (at least on the top of the range models) and decent support for POIs.

If TomTom's headquarters were in the UK, I'd be very tempted to pay them a visit and ask them why they can't sort out the problems that have been reported time and time again.
    BrianE
  • softoprascalsoftoprascal Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I was looking at a standalone alternative last night, one with a built in dash cam “the G word” however I feel TT is the lesser of two evils,suppose that’s why I’ve continued to use them as long as I have.
    I had more confidence when I could call a UK based call centre, now I feel like they are reading from a script.