Rider 450 constantly demanding 180 degree turn — TomTom Community

Rider 450 constantly demanding 180 degree turn

speedtriflespeedtrifle Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
While on a trip I set my retuen journey in advance, Centre of Thurso to Hesket Newmarket, avoiding motorways. I was staying in a hotel just outside of Thurso. On the morning of my return trip I selected the route, then rode to the centre of Thurso and started to follow the route. The route was simple for the first 200 miles, just follow the A9. Immediately I exited Thurso, on the A9, the 450 indicated that I should reverse direction at the next turn, and at every subsequent lunction and layby. Despite the highlighted route being the A9, when I got to the junction with the A99 it told me to turn left for Wick, rather than follow the A9 for Inverness. This continued for the next 200 miles to Perth, reverse direction at every possible junction an layby, destination distance increasing, time to destination increasing. At Perth I checkecd the route to see if I had accidentally set Thurso as my destination instead of Hesket - I hadn't. I hadn't set any waypoints either. What kind of nav software would do this? Surely after 200 miles into the journey it would recognise I was on the right route and correct accordingly, even if I had missed a phantom waypoint? What on earth was going on?

Comments

• ztech6ztech6 Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Did you have a starting point ie Thurso? It sounds like it's navigating to the start of the route, in a case like this I would create a route with just the destination and navigate from the current location.
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    As ztech6 says, it seems likely that when you started your journey you didn’t pass through the start point. The logic in the firmware will always route you back to it You could have been approaching Lands End and it will still route you back to the start point.
    TomTom seem unable or unwilling to fix this issue. They have much more important functionality to add to the new 550 like reading text messages.

The workaround is to go to the menu (three dots), select “current route”, then select “skip next stop”. In theory this would now route you to the finish point. The same scenario you describe plays out if you don’t go through a waypoint. The same workaround applies.
    I recommend you stop before making changes on the Rider.

You can alter main menu and sub menus to make frequently used functions appear on the first page. I’ve done this for skip next stop as I seem to use it quite often.

(If any TomTom staff read this, my Zumo 550 will skip to the next waypoint automatically if the turn around instruction is ignored)
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 752
    Superuser
    IMHO, it’s more a matter of bad documentation than a problem of the TomTom’s philosophy about navigational systems operation...
  • speedtriflespeedtrifle Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    I notice that no TomTom staffer has deigned to comment here.
    Ste7ios wrote:
    IMHO, it’s more a matter of bad documentation than a problem of the TomTom’s philosophy about navigational systems operation...As ztech6 says, it seems likely that when you started your journey you didn’t pass through the start point. The logic in the firmware will always route you back to it You could have been approaching Lands End and it will still route you back to the start point.
    TomTom seem unable or unwilling to fix this issue. They have much more important functionality to add to the new 550 like reading text messages.

The workaround is to go to the menu (three dots), select “current route”, then select “skip next stop”. In theory this would now route you to the finish point. The same scenario you describe plays out if you don’t go through a waypoint. The same workaround applies.
    I recommend you stop before making changes on the Rider.

You can alter main menu and sub menus to make frequently used functions appear on the first page. I’ve done this for skip next stop as I seem to use it quite often.

(If any TomTom staff read this, my Zumo 550 will skip to the next waypoint automatically if the turn around instruction is ignored)
    Can I have "skip next stop" on the main menu or must it always be in a submenu?
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    "Can I have "skip next stop" on the main menu or must it always be in a submenu?"

I don't think it is possible to promote a submenu item up to a higher menu.

It is possible to move the menu items around at each level. I have moved "Current Route" to the first page of the main menu so I can get to it quickly. The easiest way is to press and hold the menu item you want to move and arrows then appear allowing it to be moved to the left and on to a different menu page.
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superusers
    Have you installed the latest update it seems a little more intelligent than previous versions, certainly on planned routes. I set a route that was a sort of 100 mile figure of eight did the first bit didn't take me as long as I expected so decided to miss a could of a few way points and head back towards part of the earlier route. Once I was back on that track it then gave me the directions as per the original route ( So back over the same roads again) at the cross over point I turned on to the last part of the route so skipping a loop and again it picked up the road ahead back to the original fishing point
    EXPORTMAN wrote:
    Have you installed the latest update it seems a little more intelligent than previous versions, certainly on planned routes. I set a route that was a sort of 100 mile figure of eight did the first bit didn't take me as long as I expected so decided to miss a could of a few way points and head back towards part of the earlier route. Once I was back on that track it then gave me the directions as per the original route ( So back over the same roads again) at the cross over point I turned on to the last part of the route so skipping a loop and again it picked up the road ahead back to the original fishing point.

Before I went on the trip I connected it to MyDriveConnect and it downloaded the latest software.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 752
    Superuser
    Can you upload the route (ITN) in a post here?