Cant store routes on my device- GO 520 WiFi

BlackStump
BlackStump Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
When I plan a route on the my drive website and want to store them to the my routes folder on my tomtom device, it won't do it. The only way to get them in that folder is to select the switch on the website that says. synchronize this route as a track on my system.
When I do that it does store the route as a track but due to the nature of a track I loos all the stops in between which I don't want.

Why can't I just store them as routes with all the stops in between.

I use a Tomtom Go520.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    Hi
    @BlackStump

Here's the method I use...

Note... when using the MyDrive Web Route planner and .ITN routes there is a maximum limit of 20 stops when syncing over the air

The MyDrive Web Route planner has a Maximum 30 Stop limit if you save the .GPX Track to the PC Desk top and transfer the route using a Micro SD memory card

Many 3rd party Route planners allow a much higher stop count for a .ITN Route if you save the .ITN Route to the PC Desk top and transfer the route using a Micro SD memory card

The 'Send to Device' doesn't save the Route to 'MyRoutes' it simply sends the Route to the device... But using the method below you can 'Send' or 'Send & Save a .ITN Route to the device

Method....

(1).... Plan your Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    A to B or A to B to C to D to E to F etc...

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon... See Note (1)

106f2d25-cf5c-442f-8f09-9e61a0ae2e1c.png

Important Note...(1) There's a known bug with the MyDrive Web Route planner when using the 'Send to Device' option... During a "A" to "B" or Multi Stop Route transfer/sync where 'A' is NOT your current location... The PND device drops Location "A"
    See... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/tomtom-route-planner-route-selection-on-the-go-5100-differ-1030046/index1.html#post1198253

(3)... Choose the 'Send to Device' option... The route will sync to your device

(4)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon)

(5)... 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'

(6)... The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... 'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note...(2) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options

Note...(3) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

If you transfer a route using the method Suggested above....

On the Rider 4/5xx look in 'My Routes' you will find the Arrow by the file name (Route/.ITN) is Solid... Whereas the Arrow by the file name is for a .GPX (Track) is Dotted

c96bddc1-b535-41e5-8b90-0465556eabae.jpg
    (8)... When you load a route created using the MyDrive Web Route planner 'Send to Device' option
    Then Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon look at/in 'Current Route' all the subfolders will reference Routes

(9)... When you load a route created using the MyDrive Web Route planner 'Save and Sync' option
    Then Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon look at/in 'Current Track' all the subfolders will reference Tracks

ATB YFM
  • Tomek398
    Tomek398 Registered Users Posts: 25
    Master Traveler
    I have 520 (WiFi) and use MyDrive web-page to plan my routes with many stops. As you wrote I "select the switch on the website that says synchronize this route as a track on my system" and then I'm saving the route. After a while that route is transferred to my device (520) and I select it on the device in MyRoutes. It is visible with with all stops I planned. Is it something that you want?
  • Tomek398
    Master Traveler
    I think I know what you mean now. Those points along a track are not editable stops. I wasn't aware of that. And in fact it is a pity that routes are synchronised as a track only

This is not exactly what you want but I plan to use the app on my phone to select the route and then send it do the device. When I do that I have it as a route which means that I can add/remove stops or skip them. The obvious disadvantage is that you need to have a phone with internet connection to do that.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Tomek398

I much prefer .ITN routes, I find them more reliable, more flexible with more menu options

ATB YFM
  • Tomek398
    Master Traveler
    I must say that I didn't know about all those differences between routes and tracks. The major problem is that routes can not be synchronised with GPS unit in the same way as tracks. This is serious drawback of the system.

Now, I'm preparing for my holiday trip and I have already around 100 routes with many stops. They are synchronised with my GPS but is seems that I can't for instance skip or simply remove particular stop using the GPS unit as all those routes exist as a track. Very disappointing. I hope that I'll be able to use my phone to send particular route to the GPS since it is transferred as a route (not track)
  • Tomek398
    Master Traveler
    Can I import itn routes from memory card to GO520? Does 20 stops limit apply in that case?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Tomek398
    Tomek398 wrote:
    Can I import itn routes from memory card to GO520?
    Yes...
    To transfer a route to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    Format you memory card on your PC to FAT32 format
    Copy you .GPX or .ITN route file to your Memory Card

My GO 5000 showing no routes installed.....

ca63324a-1f9d-4ae6-b84e-f924cfccf9f8.jpgInsert the SD Memory card into the Card Slot the device will recognise the Memory Card.....

ee41c992-7c40-4ad4-bd6f-e6a4c258fe3f.jpg
    fcbd0e45-8cba-4575-996a-6715a6c67744.jpg
    2f5dc2eb-de59-4977-a3ef-4de9a15b21f0.jpg
    6b9f6fba-2499-4670-97b5-854c143f3382.jpg
    14213df2-c56b-46ad-a0b6-0d0f7abe13eb.jpgRoutes Transferred.....
    Does 20 stops limit apply in that case?
    No... Here's a 50 Stop .ITN of the Cul de sac Route test

86d6d2a2-9a29-4eda-ba6c-25838e0bcb71.jpg

ATB YFM
  • Tomek398
    Master Traveler
    Great! Thanks

Just one more question. Is there any important advantage of tracks over routes? As I wrote before I have already more than 100 tracks in my GPS synchronised using MyDrive web-site. Now I consider transferring them to GPS again this time as routes using memory card. So far I think that routes are way better than tracks for typical navigation but maybe there is something I'm not aware of.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi

Just a thought.. As each new release the maps increase in size

Transferring routes using Micro SD Card
    The latest devices with 16GB of onboard Memory will be fine as long as all of the Installed Maps + Routes don't push the 400MB minimum free working space limit

Anyone using one of the Earlier NAV4 devices with 8 GB of memory who is maybe thinking trying transferring routes using MicroSD Card
    If your ALL of your Maps are installed on a Micro SD Card, you will have to install one of the smaller/smallest Map Zones to the Main memory on the device just to keep the device working while you swap the Micro SD Cards around during the Route Transfer (Devices with World Maps ??? can install one of the smaller Maps)

Even if your using one of the Map Zones installed on the main Memory The 400MB minimum free working space still applies

ATB YFM