Map Change rejects — TomTom Community

Map Change rejects

Lieutenant CommanderLieutenant Commander Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
edited January 29 in Map quality
I reported a map change which involved the addition of a speed camera on Princess Highway, Nowra NSW but the change was denied. I resubmitted this change 6 times and in spite of the images to support the change, the request was not accepted. Is there any reason why such a valid request is rejected.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,562 Superuser
    @Lieutenant Commander

Can you give the Map Change indecent number(s) so a member of TT staff here can follow up
  • Lieutenant CommanderLieutenant Commander Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hi. There are 6 incident ID's which have been rejected as follows,

f66eafc9-fc97-43f8-8939-9dd1d19ec121
    a02eb04d-e3fa-4449-9e7e-4a28562d4b62
    6b3b39b0-0c68-4b1f-b316-28c281c93723
    7a0d7bf8-d2f2-4ac0-82ca-705f9d88defd
    93b14798-db11-458e-b70d-be0c96ebc770
    0b05af78-fcb4-44f1-a217-7d5108a6fc2a
    e92883d5-ed31-4805-b352-dff3d7820096.jpg
    @Lieutenant Commander

If you have used captures from google maps / street view to support your changes then I am afraid that TomTom can't use a commercial opponents data so will reject your reports :(
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 640 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Niall wrote:
    @Lieutenant Commander

If you have used captures from google maps / street view to support your changes then I am afraid that TomTom can't use a commercial opponents data so will reject your reports :(
    @Niall ,

Fully understand the point that you are making but just how are you meant to provide the "evidence" to justify the change??

If you are driving (which is usually the case), when you notice the change, are you meant to stop & then get your Mobile out to take a picture - on the vast majority of occasions, this is simply impractical and/or dangerous!

Certainly, I hope that TomTom is NOT expecting us to take pictures whilst driving??
    @John-Jay

It is a matter of copyright :(
    Judicial editing of screen shots to remove any trace of 'Google' and then adding GPS co-ordinates via something like https://www.geoimgr.com/ get round most of the problems, or better still adding a link to the 'official' publication announcing the change :)
  • parsd51parsd51 Posts: 183 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    @Niall @John-Jay

Video vith geotagged picures is a possibility. But it still leaves some uncertainty of the location when filmed through the windscreen. Side window could be used too, to avoid this :-)
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 640 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @Niall ,

Thanks for your response!

Fully understand the point about copywrite, etc!

Obviously I note the points that you are making.

However, to date, I'm not aware of any change (that I've noted and/or reported) that has been covered by an "Official-Publication"!

Often, the things that I have reported (or wish to report) are changes to Sign-LImit Zones (usually where the local Council has moved an existing Speed-Limit Boundary sign, to increase the length of an existing zone) or anomalies within TomTom itself.

In the former, other than dangerously stopping to take a Photo (& these would be too recent for it to show up in Street-View), I'm really not certain what I can provide TomTom as "evidence"!

An example of the latter is my report highlighted under Forum Post:-
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/wrong-lane-guidance-on-the-go-5100-1021125

Strangely enough, since I couldn't find an alternative way of Reporting it (& I certainl;y was NOT going to stop my Car in the middle of a very busy/dangerous inter-junction to take Photos), I did use edits from Google & TomTom ultimately accepted it!!
    Ok so we cannot use google images for evidence which is understandable but what happens now. Doesn't TomTom have other alternative methods to verify the existence of speed cameras?

As a suggestion, why not allow users to "Add" speed cameras directly to their device as they are discovered along a route. This data can be stored to the device in the same way as you save addresses in "my places".
  • bigbig Posts: 1,564 Superuser
    The later devices have the ability to report speed cameras just by pressing an icon on your screen at the right time. If a few people do that over time then the camera will get added.
    I am fully aware of the speed camera reporting feature but that's not what I meant. The reporting feature is only temporary and in most cases does not last more than 24hrs before the system clears it.

What I am suggesting is an "ADD" feature which allows user to add a speed camera into their own device, independent of others devices or TomTom system management.

The very first GPS I purchased about 10 years ago was a Mio520 and it had the feature of adding a speed camera to the device. We are now 10 years ahead and with all the technological improvements, such a feature is a minor software adjustment.
    The speed camera reporting feature is not only temporary. If just a couple of people report the location then it is taken as a temporary/mobile camera and only lasts a short time. But if a lot of people report it over time, then the location is added to the permanent database. (Or at least that's what TomTom claims.)

The older TomTom as well did indeed have the capability to add changes right to your device. Many of us would like to see that feature return.
    Relying on several users to report this camera should not be the primary source of informmation for TomTom to improve their map data. Not many TomTom owners will take the trouble to report such incidents and my daughter is one of them.

If TomTom had this feature in previous models then they should reinstate it as this will enhance the value of their product.
    I wouldn't say it's their primary source of information, but end-user reports can be a big help to learn about cameras as soon as possible. Especially with mobile cameras, most municipalities don't publish a list a send it TomTom -- the whole point of mobile cameras is the "surprise" factor!

Definitely the previous models had features we miss. Personally, I'm hoping for improvements and bug fixes. I'd like to make a correction on my device and have the change instantly take effect on my device as well as sending the correction to TomTom. That's how it used to work many years ago.