Runner 3 Ascent Data (maybe an error in the TomTom software?) — TomTom Community

Runner 3 Ascent Data (maybe an error in the TomTom software?)

irbmanirbman Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
When I compare my ascent data with other devices of my friends (garmin, polar, ...) it shows more meters of ascent (+20%/+25%) in any circumstances. I think it is an error of the TomTom software in the interpretation of the data because when we all export our data to Strava, the data of my friends in Strava (from garmin, polar, ... devices) are similar than those shown in their devices.

Surprisingly, my data exported to Strava from my TomTom Runner 3 is similar to the data of my friends (both in Strava and in their devices) while in my device the ascent is 25% higher. ?

Does anyone have the same issue? Can it be solved?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,181
    Superusers
    Strava recalculates the data using its own Digital Elevation Model which is likely the same one your friend's devices use. TomTom counts all ascent with no minimum so even on a flat road if you went up a meter 5 times it would say 5 meters of ascent while Garmin and others factor out these immaterial changes in elevation. Over time this adds up. This is not to say TT is wrong, if anything they are giving you a true ascent total but most people only want to include the material changes in elevation. There is nothing to be solved, it is just the way it is. And since TT went out of the watch business they are not going to change it now in any case.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • irbmanirbman Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you tfarabaugh for your quick response. However if Garmin, Polar, Suunto, Strava, ... gives similar ascent info and only TomTom gives 25% more we cannot say that anything is wrong.

GPS is a positioning technology that estimates your relative position by capturing the signal emitted by a satellite in movement at kms of distance while your device is in movement in your wrist and the Earth is in movement too. It is normal having little deviations in the readings. The companies correct these deviations with big data softwares that predict the most approximate ascent. The results of TomTom reflect improvable predictions with the data readings. If I ride a mountain 1,400 meters height It is not acceptable 2,000 meters of ascent (it is a mountain not a succession of ascending holes).

Anyway, if TomTom leaves the watch business the problem cannot be solved.
  • irbmanirbman Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Strava recalculates the data using its own Digital Elevation Model which is likely the same one your friend's devices use. TomTom counts all ascent with no minimum so even on a flat road if you went up a meter 5 times it would say 5 meters of ascent while Garmin and others factor out these immaterial changes in elevation. Over time this adds up. This is not to say TT is wrong, if anything they are giving you a true ascent total but most people only want to include the material changes in elevation. There is nothing to be solved, it is just the way it is. And since TT went out of the watch business they are not going to change it now in any case.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

how can Imark your message?