New software v18.103 available for download

VikramK
VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,781
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi all

TomTom must be GDPR( General Data Protection Regulation) compliant so we have just released a new software update v18.103; it's available for download in the Updates & New Items menu of your device.

Whats new?

• Receiving communications from TomTom regarding news, software updates and products now require a manual opt-in when setting up your account.

Thanks and drive safe?

Regards
Vikram :)

Comments

• miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,558
    Superuser
    Hi Vikramk, can we hope having a new navcore with real improvement soon? Especialy for a real POI management?
  • dmulv
    dmulv Posts: 675
    Superuser
    Hi @VikramK - is the purpose of this update purely to change the wording of the terms & conditions, or are there any bug fixes at all?
  • miketorcy
    Superuser
    It is also available for non WiFi Nav4 device. (6100 for exemple).
  • dobiegr
    dobiegr Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Excuse me while I fail to soil myself in excitment ..... I'm still waiting for the features which were in my Rider 1 and rider 2 machines to find their way to the rider 4 series! - my only regret was to sell the older models when newer ones became available!
  • Tomek398
    Tomek398 Registered Users Posts: 25
    Master Traveler
    We need POI management similar to older devices. Or at least categories for favourites.
  • D-Stream
    D-Stream Registered Users Posts: 159
    Renowned Trailblazer
    I like the word consistency. The same bugs have been carried over to this version. So in all the moaning admitting there`s a serious bug in the alg. That been pointed out by loads of users. You reproduce it its a number one high level priority you say. We wait month and months and all you come out with is gpdr update. An update so minor and STILL yes STILL we wait for the alg bug to be fixed.

The missing blue line I can reproduce all the time that`s reported in.
  • Covkid62
    Covkid62 Registered Users Posts: 601
    Supreme Navigator
    was it too much to hope that Tomtom would have sorted out ALG after over a year of complaints....I'm still thinking that the reason it hasn't been fixed is that Tomtom engineers are useless and are not capable of fixing it or it would have been done by now...really can't wait until my go6200 packs up then i'll be off to buy a Garmin and i suggest everyone does the same...these nav4/5 are probably the worst piece of junk ever to come out from Tomtom....all i want to know is why did they change a winning formula for this rubbish as previous devices were the best you could buy.
    Also I am getting the missing blue navigation line....full of bugs and they still actually sell them....disgraceful if you ask me
  • dmulv
    dmulv Posts: 675
    Superuser
    Before anyone else gets into a flap about this, I strongly suspect this is an out-of-schedule release whose sole purpose is to comply with the GDPR regulations that came into force today.

As such, they've applied the GDPR opt-in routine to the released (and fully tested) code-base rather than the next one. Which makes sense really, when you think about it.

So don't expect there to be any bug fixes or new funky features in this version. I'm sure they will be appearing in the very near future in the next 'proper' firmware release :wink:
  • Patjepeeer
    Patjepeeer Registered Users Posts: 71
    Supreme Trailblazer
    To be honest, I am pretty satisfied with my 5200 in the way how I use the device. Don't really use the POI functionality but I can image this needs improvement. Of course many functionalities could be added and will be missed by others comparing by older devices. Also I have no problems at all with updating the device. And the device is fast (mine is though), recalculating is fast and when I compare it to my good old and still active GO 950 LIVE, the combination recalculate and plotting the route and taking the fastest route is much better when driving in pretty heavy traffic.

At the other hand, the advanced lane guidance bug is actually a really annoying issue!
    TomTom told me the end of last year they are going to fix it soon. It should have been fixed already back in February! I don't think it has been fixed in this version because the release note told something different.
  • ztech6
    ztech6 Registered Users Posts: 55
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I can only echo the disappointment already posted ! I wonder how well the sales for the 550 are going? I've upgraded on every major release up to the 400 series of a Rider but I'll not be getting a 550. It seems Tom Tom only listen to government legislators and their sales team, until the bottom line profit changes it's 'status Quo'. In fact Tom Tom have had it so good up to series 3 that I seriously doubt they are even capable of listening and correcting faults. :rage:
  • D-Stream
    D-Stream Registered Users Posts: 159
    Renowned Trailblazer
    The advance lane bug is "totally frustrating as hell". Yesterday it decided to randomly work for a trip like every junction. Then on the next entered trip not to sigh. I do some 200 to 300 miles a day in the week and rely so much on this for motorway travel

My new hate is the map doesn't zoom always after lots of destinations in a day its just at a fixed zoom

The blue line one is so so easy to reproduce.

The only show a single speed camera on your route bar even though the 10 miles of motorway have like 12 on them.

Surprise speed camera not its 2.5 miles away oh you've done that one here there's one on the next gantry. ill populate it now. Goes on the map doesn't go on the route bar. Hence the surprise ding ding ding your on it.

try going up the m1 speed zone from Nottingham with all the gantries and watch the nav have a panic attack.

ALG is totally utterly ferked up. Still needs fixing and not one single update from tom tom since yeah its bust we found it also. But nothing what's been done since???
  • ambr
    ambr Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    While it sounded like this was just a GDPR 'fix', does it fix anything else? Notably sporadic data connectivity as required for live services like traffic?

Have been having major issues and so was hopeful when the device alerted me to a software update yesterday. I have noticed a difference in that before the connected phone would show a connection status for each of the three profiles (calls, data, messages) on the initial Bluetooth screen. If the profile was connected it would appear in the list and conversely it would be absent if not connected. Frustratingly I would always see "calls", sometimes "messages" and invariably not "data". Now it just says "Connected". To see the three profiles I have to tap on the named phone and see the usual screen with the three types of connectivity and a slider against each to toggle it on or off.

Maybe I am just overly hopeful and it was a coincidence but I have had traffic working today. Even after a stop that would have disconnected the phone connection and sent the device to sleep. Back in the car, power on and it all popped back into life.

Are there release notes somewhere?
  • bazbrian
    bazbrian Registered Users Posts: 33
    Prominent Wayfarer
    miketorcy wrote:
    It is also available for non WiFi Nav4 device. (6100 for exemple).

Yep it sure is. I just checked my 6100 updates in MyDrive Connect and it's there. 336 MB
  • brucey
    brucey Registered Users Posts: 193
    Supreme Trailblazer
    I'm as frustrated as the next user about the lack of updates and improvements (ALG/displayed POI/aggressive routing) and have mentioned this more than once on this forum, but in all honesty I'm not sure Garmin is the answer currently if you rely on traffic.

In the current issue of Which? (June 18) TomTom is top by a way for both PND and also mobile apps.
  • Carminat
    Carminat Registered Users Posts: 990
    Revered Pioneer
    brucey wrote:
    In the current issue of Which? (June 18) TomTom is top by a way for both PND and also mobile apps.

OMG, the rest must be pretty awful then!
  • rogwk
    rogwk Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    Hah! The POI bugs/features have been present since I got my 6000 almost 3 years ago. Much complaining in the forums then and the POIs are still terrible. Tomtom doesn't listen to user feedback and appears either to have incompetent engineers or a broken organisation (most likely the latter). The 6000 is still extremely slow and clunky, and still crashes intermittently after all this time even with multiple SW upgrades (and one paid hardware replacement also owing to cracked screen - my fault). The 6000 should never have been sold or users should have been upgraded FOC to a faster one as soon as it was available (6100).

Sad to see a once-great company produce such rubbish and be so unresponsive to customer feedback.

Right, time to waste some time doing the GDPR update to keep the Tomtom lawyers happy.
  • Tabb
    Tabb Registered Users Posts: 29
    Prominent Wayfarer
    rogwk wrote:
    Hah! The POI bugs/features have been present since I got my 6000 almost 3 years ago. Much complaining in the forums then and the POIs are still terrible. Tomtom doesn't listen to user feedback and appears either to have incompetent engineers or a broken organisation (most likely the latter). The 6000 is still extremely slow and clunky, and still crashes intermittently after all this time even with multiple SW upgrades (and one paid hardware replacement also owing to cracked screen - my fault). The 6000 should never have been sold or users should have been upgraded FOC to a faster one as soon as it was available (6100).

Sad to see a once-great company produce such rubbish and be so unresponsive to customer feedback.

Right, time to waste some time doing the GDPR update to keep the Tomtom lawyers happy.

And all this is coupled with Tomtom attempt to bury previous long running and informative posts requesting or discussing POI/software improvements by closing them for comments so they fall off the end of the new forum layout.

Anyway as a reminder, when or if you move to a different manufacturer per GDPR new regulations don't forget yo can then request that Tomtom delete all your data.
  • BrianE
    BrianE Worcester, United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 562
    Exalted Navigator
    What I find incredible is that the likes of TomTom can design and market what, prima facie, seem to be a good quality products, but once you have purchased them and start using them, you find out they have many shortcomings and are not really fit for purpose. Even my son's built-in sat nav in his BMW apparently has an option to stick to motorways and A roads, so why do we still have to suffer being sent down inappropriate country tracks that are hazardous in daylight and potentially dangerous at night? This is ridiculous. I do have a suspicion that TomTom actually have their devices made for them by some undisclosed third party company and that is the reason why they seem to have no idea how they are supposed to work or how to fix any problems that are fed back to them, either via this forum or direct to their customer services. Perhaps they have had a fall out with the shadow company and that is why no real updates or progress on fixing the problems have been forthcoming.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    3c25c60d-9a19-4ac0-b5d1-8d8fac16c822.jpgOh and yes, as someone else has commented, why do we keep having the screen about accepting cookies appear over and over again as we navigate around this website?
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    dmulv wrote:
    Before anyone else gets into a flap about this, I strongly suspect this is an out-of-schedule release ....

What schedule? There hasn't been a schedule for years.
  • rogwk
    rogwk Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    @Tabb: agreed. If Tomtom really wanted to improve the product the best thing they could do would be to assign someone fairly senior in Engineering (not the intern) to re-read all the closed threads here since the 5000/6000 devices were released, and make a list of necessary improvements. Users have spent much time and effort on these forums over the years describing the problems in great detail and suggesting solutions - effectively doing what Tomtom's in-house beta-testers should have done originally. There is much experience and wisdom here. Now those users have mostly given up, not wanting to waste any more of their time shouting into the void.
  • miketorcy
    Superuser
    For the first april, i give tomtom some ideas for improve the navcore for nav4 device:

POIs provided by Tomtom can now be announced on the map and on the course bar. A specific sound is associated with each POI category. The distance from the moment the POI is announced is adjustable by the user in the settings.
    POIs provided by the community can now be announced on the map and on the course bar. All you need is an image and sound associated with each personal POI. The distance from the moment the POI is announced is adjustable by the user in the settings.
    A female voice of synthesis (Virginia) is now available if the language "French" is chosen in the parameters. (GO WiFi)
    A female voice of synthesis (Julie) is now available if the language "French (Canada)" is chosen in the parameters. (Go WiFi)
    You can now use a personal car icon like on Nav2 and Nav3. To create a personal car icon, simply create a square image of 80 pixels side under a red background of color code ff0000 => R: 255 / V: 0 / B: 0
    It is now possible to request (in the parameters) to display in the navigation bar the altitude at the top left of the arrival time. The altitude is displayed in meters or feet depending on the choice of metric or Anglo Saxon measurements in the parameters.
    It is now possible to request (in the parameters) to display in the navigation bar the percentage of battery charge in the lower left of the current time to know precisely its capacity when used in pedestrian mode. .
    It is now possible to request (in the parameters) to display in the navigation bar at the top left of the remaining distance to browse the number of satellites captured. In this regard, Galileo is now supported to improve the localization accuracy.
    We have made route planning the option of sensational roads with three levels of road curvature and three levels of slopes like riders and MyDrive.
    It is now possible to have trip statistics (distance, travel time, average speed, maximum speed). Two sets are available to keep the statistics for a trip of several days and make a reset every day.
    It is now possible once the destination reached to have a pop-up asking if we want to continue guidance. Indeed, it is not always possible to park exactly in front of the exact place of the destination.
    It is now possible to set a maximum speed reached by your vehicle. This is particularly useful for a better accuracy in estimating the arrival time when using a trailer or an old collector car.
    When the "Avoid toll highways" option in route planning is unchecked, the price of the toll is indicated.

These are some ideas for developpers staff. Let's go!
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    Can we have avoid unclassified roads added to the list please, to avoid those awful single track routes in country areas?
  • Ovalball03
    Ovalball03 Registered Users Posts: 299
    Renowned Trailblazer
    For what it’s worth,I agree with the above.I am guilty of blindly supporting tomtom by continuing to purchase new products in the hope that the above listed shortcomings will be addressed.i have just purchased the new camper but unfortunately it arrived later than promised so while I am touring the south of France in my motorhome my new sat nav is unopened waiting for me to get home.I never learn.
  • vistisen
    vistisen Registered Users Posts: 27
    Prominent Wayfarer
    D-Stream wrote:
    I like the word consistency. The same bugs have been carried over to this version. So in all the moaning admitting there`s a serious bug in the alg. That been pointed out by loads of users. You reproduce it its a number one high level priority you say. We wait month and months and all you come out with is gpdr update. An update so minor and STILL yes STILL we wait for the alg bug to be fixed.

The missing blue line I can reproduce all the time that`s reported in.
    They are not bugs, they are traditions