Cannot get traffic data over LTE — TomTom Community

Cannot get traffic data over LTE

ckcheeckchee Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
I've been using my GO 600 successfully for a few years with my Samsung phone over LTE (mobile data). Since May 2018, I no longer get traffic data over LTE. However, if my phone is on WiFi, I get traffic data.

Background. I went on vacation in USA (I'm in Canada) and I used a USA SIM card. Of course I put back my Canadian SIM card when I came home Apr 30. It seems my GO 600 stopped getting traffic data around that time.

I am using a Samsung Note 8. What app/service on my phone gets the traffic data and transmits it over bluetooth to the GO 600? It seems that the phone is not getting traffic data over LTE (mobile data) but is over WiFi. I know Android allows you to restrict background data while over LTE but I checked that I have restricted 8 apps from receiving data over LTE but I don't think any of them have to do with TomTom or MyDrive.

Comments

• ckcheeckchee Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    More info:

If I run MyDrive on my phone, I see all the traffic data in LTE mode. So my phone is receiving traffic data over LTE. For some reason it is not sending it to the GO600. Unless there is a different app/service that the gets traffic data and sends it to the GO600.

I also removed the restriction on the 8 apps mentioned above so that they all received while over LTE and rebooted the phone. This made no difference: my GO600 still doesn't get traffic data over LTE.

Keep in mind this used to work before May 2018.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    Check with support:

:flag_ca: Canada (en)
    +1 877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST
  • e289dhe289dh Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Good Morning, I have just recently upgraded my phone to the Samsung *+S and my GPS will not connect to my phone now. I have installed the MYDRIVE App on my phone and have tried all the trouble shooting recommendations. I am still having no success, can you provide me an alternate method or is there a download I can use to upgrade my TOM TOM Go 500. Thank you very much .
    I spoke to one TomTom support person and she made me do so many diagnostic things including "recovering the device" (which I didn't even know the device could do that) - it is similar to a factory reset. This didn't solve my problem.

I called and spoke to a different person. She said it is a known problem. It is caused by a recent device software update (which I did mid-April!) and they are working on the problem. However, software updates usually come out every 3 months! That means for 3 months, I won't have any traffic data! This makes my device almost useless because I live in a very busy city and I need traffic data.
  • dh2014dh2014 Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    Sometimes bluetooth acts up.

Without having to restart the phone and device i just use the hotspot feature on my phone and that always works.
  • JoePGMJoePGM Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I got exactly the same problem , it is a shame to use mobile hotspot function rather than send the data through blurtooth.

BTW I have reset my TomTom GO 520, uninstalled the MyDrive apps and re-login on both device but still no luck.

TomTom can you fix this issue it is so annoying!
    JoePGM wrote:
    I got exactly the same problem , it is a shame to use mobile hotspot function rather than send the data through blurtooth.
    Does it work with mobile hotspot? I haven't tried that. That means I have to get traffic data via LTE on phone #1, hotspot it to phone #2, phone #2 gets the traffic data via WiFi from phone #1, and phone #2 sends it to GO 600 via bluetooth. It would be an interesting experience but it means you would need 2 phones with you at all times (if it works).
    ckchee wrote:
    JoePGM wrote:
    Does it work with mobile hotspot? I haven't tried that. That means I have to get traffic data via LTE on phone #1, hotspot it to phone #2, phone #2 gets the traffic data via WiFi from phone #1, and phone #2 sends it to GO 600 via bluetooth. It would be an interesting experience but it means you would need 2 phones with you at all times (if it works).
    I have the go 620 and since tomtom connects to wifi you can run a hotspot with your phone being the wifi source. I do it once the Bluetooth acts up.

You don't need two phones
    dh2014 wrote:
    ckchee wrote:
    JoePGM wrote:
    I have the go 620 and since tomtom connects to wifi you can run a hotspot with your phone being the wifi source. I do it once the Bluetooth acts up.

So you are saying that you get traffic data via LTE, then send it by WiFi to GO 620 and it works? My GO 600 doesn't have WiFi.

This solution doesn't make sense. As I said, if I get traffic data via LTE, the GO 600 cannot read it. But if I get traffic data (say at home) from my wired home computer to my phone via WiFi, then sent to my GO 600 via bluetooth, then it works. TomTom tried to tell me that traffic data via LITE and via a wired home computer have different formats. Plus it is software on the GO 600 that went wrong during the April 2018 update.
    ckchee wrote:
    JoePGM wrote:

I could see my TomTom Go 520 receive traffic update once connected to home wifi, but no more traffice update if connect pure on bluetooth these days. So, the traffic update should work as well if I turn on mobile hotspot on my phone. Will try it next time when I drive out.

I'm not sure how come you need 2 phones in your case, probably due to MyDrive apps installed on the phone which have not LTE function....
    ckchee wrote:
    dh2014 wrote:
    ckchee wrote:
    JoePGM wrote:

So you are saying that you get traffic data via LTE, then send it by WiFi to GO 620 and it works? My GO 600 doesn't have WiFi.

This solution doesn't make sense. As I said, if I get traffic data via LTE, the GO 600 cannot read it. But if I get traffic data (say at home) from my wired home computer to my phone via WiFi, then sent to my GO 600 via bluetooth, then it works. TomTom tried to tell me that traffic data via LITE and via a wired home computer have different formats. Plus it is software on the GO 600 that went wrong during the April 2018 update.

That sounds strange. Or maybe you can give a try like this to keep everything simple:

On your LTE phone, turn on hotspot function and bluetooth function (suppose this phone installed MyDrive as well). Then, goto your TomTom GO 600 setting, hook up the wifi with your phone as well as bluetooth pairing, that should do the job
    JoePGM wrote:

That sounds strange. Or maybe you can give a try like this to keep everything simple:

On your LTE phone, turn on hotspot function and bluetooth function (suppose this phone installed MyDrive as well). Then, goto your TomTom GO 600 setting, hook up the wifi with your phone as well as bluetooth pairing, that should do the job

GO 600 does NOT have WiFi. As I said, it is not how that data goes from the phone to GO 600 that matters, it is how the traffic data arrives at the phone. This is very strange to me because I thought it doesn't matter but the customer service person said it does. Keep in mind I am not talking to the technical person so she may not be telling me the right answer.
    The only thing i can suggest OP is to see if your phone has tge Bluetooth tethering option.... You may need to do it that way.

Also on the tomtom hold down the power button until you see some white computer text, keep it held down till the next drumroll and see if Bluetooth connects then. You should see the computer text soon after the first drumroll. My touch screen stopped working and this procedure fixed it.

Or depending how important traffic is to you get a go 620.
    dh2014 wrote:
    The only thing i can suggest OP is to see if your phone has tge Bluetooth tethering option.... You may need to do it that way.

Also on the tomtom hold down the power button until you see some white computer text, keep it held down till the next drumroll and see if Bluetooth connects then. You should see the computer text soon after the first drumroll. My touch screen stopped working and this procedure fixed it.

Or depending how important traffic is to you get a go 620.
    I've done the power reset (as you suggested above) and done a device reset (almost like a factory reset). Neither helped. I don't think my phone has bluetooth tethering.

I bought this device because of traffic. I need it. Keep in mind my device has been working for 2 years and then stopped after the GO 600 software update in Apr 2018.

Why should I buy another TomTom device? I paid a lot for lifetime traffic and the software update disabled it. TomTom has acknowledged it is their fault and the next update (maybe in 3 months) might fix it.

Again, any traffic data received via LTE will not work. So it doesn't matter if I have bluetooth tethering.
    I have to say, in my Huawei P9 and TomTom Go520, the SatNav could connect to my phone by hotspot however the the Traffic Data and MyDrive service still cannot connect.

The traffic function is now fully broken