Carminat TomTom SD Card works in TT Home, but constant Egg Timer in Car (Laguna 2010) — TomTom Community

Carminat TomTom SD Card works in TT Home, but constant Egg Timer in Car (Laguna 2010)

SnowySelSnowySel Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited March 2019 in Built in car navigation
I made a backup on TT Home before any updates, best to be safe I thought. However, once I updated the map, GPS and Postcode finder, the SD card is not recognised in the car anymore and just gives a constant egg timer that repeats every 30 seconds.

TT Home offers to also update the Application which then would need initialising in the vehicle, but again just gives the egg timer loop.

Things I have tried...

I have formatted the card from scratch, put it into the car and then allowed TT Home to download and install updates.

I have deleted Loopdir folder. When I do this, the car takes a little longer but then repeats the egg timer loop, but does re-create the Loopdir folder when I view the card contents on finder.

If I restore the backup as a last ditch attempt, the car will no longer recognise the sd card. TT Home has no problems recognising the sd card as Carminat TomTom, the vehicle can not.

With no sd card inserted the vehicle gives "no maps found", but inserting the sd card gives the egg timer loop.

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• SnowySelSnowySel Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sorted the problem. Formatted the SD card again, but this time I went to the root level on Disk Utility (Mac) and then created the "TomTomDisk" partition manually, it was created automatically before. Then the car initialised it, but this time it also said the card was ready to use with TomTom Home. That message didn't appear before. So then I put the card back into TT Home and did the standard updates, voices etc and it works.
  • JayGascoigneJayGascoigne Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    How did you do that on a Mac? I have had no maps for a couple of weeks since trying to update, Carminat have tried to help with no joy, if I plug the SD card into the Mac TT home says a download is available but the tick is greyed out!? Are you please able to help?
  • SnowySelSnowySel Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TT Home offered an app update today.. not for the Mac app itself but for the Carminat TomTom. Greyed out, as you cant deselect it, says its a required update. Problem is, it never completes the update, just gets stuck in a egg timer loop like it did last year in my earlier post.
    How did you do that on a Mac? I have had no maps for a couple of weeks since trying to update, Carminat have tried to help with no joy, if I plug the SD card into the Mac TT home says a download is available but the tick is greyed out!? Are you please able to help?

The way i did it on a mac was quit TT Home, then you can format the SD card in Disk Utility, and as long as you use FAT as the file system you can then just eject and initialise in the car. But then the key is to put it back into TT Home, NOT install the offered application update. Any other updates/files that you may have downloaded in the past should still be on your mac, so go to "Manage my device" in TT Home, and tick the relevant files, such as maps, gps fix, any voices, navigate to postcode and let them copy to the newly initialised SD card.

Eject it and put it back into the car and all should be good. Its the only workaround to the egg timer loop bug that stops the Carminat application updating.

With it being an older TomTom device i dont think there's many benefits to gain from a successful application update anyway. Its more important to have GPSfix and map updates in my case.

• AngryCustomer1AngryCustomer1 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I did the software update and purchased maps at the same time on my laptop for the Carminat TomTom (Renault Scenic 2011), I inserted the SD card back into the car following the correct instructions. When inserting the SD card back I got an egg timer, then a green screen with picture of a sat nat with a red cross with a had and an arrow to remove the SD card. I have done all the trouble shooting and still does not work. Wednesday (27/03/19) I took the car to the Renault dealership for a diagnostics (£108.00) to be told I need a new Sat Nav (£778.28+ VAT) and a new SD Card ((£122.04+ VAT) and then on top of that would also be labour. TomTom will not take responsibility and Renault case handler will not take my calls. Has anyone else had this very expensive problem from the free update?
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    See my reply to your other post. @VikramK