Battery Life and Bluetooth?

MaryhillmooseMaryhillmoose Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 11 in TomTom Adventurer
I have been using the trail exploration (gpx) feature on my Adventurer happily for 6 months on runs up to 8 hours, I dont have any other features/trackers switched on. At weekend the battery went from fully charged to dead after 10 hours, following a downloaded trail. I expected to get 15+ hours so was surprised. Someone said it might have been due to Bluetooth being on...fone is linked via tomtom app and it auto updates to Strava. I need advice on how to max battery life in gpx mode for long running events...any feedback gratefully received!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,216 Superusers
    You will not see 15 hours on any mode, the watch is only rated for 10-11. Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly, as will following trails and have the phone synced. Trails keeps the compass on and the screen is constantly updating which uses a huge amount of battery and BT maintains a constant connection, another battery drain. For best results use GPS only, without HR (turn it off under Sensors), turn phone sync off, do not use the Trails or any other training mode, no music, no backlight and change the screen as little as possible. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates under these conditions and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty. But you will never get over 10 hours or so. Longer than that and you need a different device (and you cannot charge it while using it).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • MaryhillmooseMaryhillmoose Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    You will not see 15 hours on any mode, the watch is only rated for 10-11. Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly, as will following trails and have the phone synced. Trails keeps the compass on and the screen is constantly updating which uses a huge amount of battery and BT maintains a constant connection, another battery drain. For best results use GPS only, without HR (turn it off under Sensors), turn phone sync off, do not use the Trails or any other training mode, no music, no backlight and change the screen as little as possible. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates under these conditions and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty. But you will never get over 10 hours or so. Longer than that and you need a different device (and you cannot charge it while using it).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    Thank you, most helpful.