Are both BMR and activities included in calorie count? — TomTom Community

Are both BMR and activities included in calorie count?

runner33runner33 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
I understand from reading on this forum that the kcal count on the "Daily activity" page is meant to include one's BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and the sum of any activities that are logged on that day. However, my kcal count seems far too low to include the BMR. For example, on a day where I logged approximately 14,000 steps but no other activity it shows a kcal count of 977. From online calculators my BMR is around 1900, so this kcal count cannot include my BMR. Is the 977kcal count reflecting the number of steps I took but not my BMR? If so, 977kcal seems far too high to represent 14,000 steps.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    The watch computes a BMR based on your gender, height, weight, etc. and takes this along with steps and sports activities to come up with calories burned. So it is taking the base calories from being alive (breathing, digesting, etc.) adding the calories burned during sports activities and then adding calories to reflect active time (including steps). Steps are going to include steps taken during the sports activities so they might not add anything as the associated calories have already been accounted for. In my experience you do not get much credit for steps above your BMR as BMR assumes a certain level of activity and the steps are not particularly raising your HR or causing your muscles to burn additional calories. I am not sure why yours is so low, did you look at it part way through the day?

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • runner33runner33 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your response. How you explained it is how I understood it before, but I still cannot work out why the value is so low. I'm looking at several days in the past few weeks, and it is constantly too low to be accounting for BMR. It's rarely over 1,200kcal and sometimes drops as low as 47kcal, for example. Is there some setting I need to change?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    runner33 wrote:
    Thanks for your response. How you explained it is how I understood it before, but I still cannot work out why the value is so low. I'm looking at several days in the past few weeks, and it is constantly too low to be accounting for BMR. It's rarely over 1,200kcal and sometimes drops as low as 47kcal, for example. Is there some setting I need to change?
    Is you gender, height, weight, etc. correct in MySports? This is what governs the BMR measure. Click your name in the top right to access Settings. If everything is correct you can try a factory reset and if all else fails, call Support.

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.