Best TomTom, World best selling Motorbike....

CorynCoryn Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 11 in RIDER
So TomTom has launched the 550 for Motorbikes, yet not the foresight to develop a backplate that fits directly to the mount bracket with the worlds best selling bike, BMW GS 1200! Short sited, I believe so. Garmin takes all winners again! But I want a TomTom. Come on, develop one.

Comments

• raesewellraesewell Posts: 113 [Revered Navigator]
    I am sure you meant short sighted.
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634 Superusers
    I am sure the Garmin mount is protected by copyright so they can't make a fitting for it
    Born free, now in debt
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 360 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    There are 3party possibilities out there. Look at the German company Hornig (or something like that).
  • Poul_AgertoftPoul_Agertoft Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    An even bigger problem exist when I tried to mount a Rider 410 on a BMW prepared for GPS. e.g. R 1200 RT, K 1600 GT and so on.
    tku4f926yzwi.jpg
    This means a mount for a Garmin Zümo or a BMW Navigator. The mounting holes actually fits the Tomtom mount. The problem is the Tomtom slide action mount. There is no room for sliding the Rider from the top.
    Then turn the mount it upside down, then there is room. Have tried this but it does not work as the Rider unit cannot be turned a full half turn (180 degrees), only a quarter turn to each side, with the screen image right side up.
    So I wonder can the newer Riders be turned upside down and still show the image right side up?
    My GO 5200 car GPS can show the image right side up, regardless of the units direction.
    So a little firmware change would open up a whole new market as the Rider is a far better product, fast traffic updates, frequent map updates, better functionality.

And again, brackets exist to solve the problem, but they are ugly and places the GPS too high, disturbing view and even road safety.
    b329c97a2jcl.jpg
  • BanjerBanjer Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Is it really TomTom's fault that the fitment on a bike that has a specific designed mount for Garmin/BMW Navigator devices isn't that great.
    If you buy a BMW you automatically choose for high integration with Zumo devices (and the Navigators are Zumo's)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    edited August 13
    Hi
    @Poul_Agertoft
    My GO 5200 car GPS can show the image right side up, regardless of the units direction
    The GO 5200 device does not Rotate the screen... On the NAV4 GO 5200 the Mount rotates 180 degrees around the ball joint...

Screen Mount....
    hi6t2qdmfwkb.jpg

Dash Mount....
    wld67ugrregb.png

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Good news, I checked this for you. The Rider 550 works in all direction so also up side down with image right side up.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    edited August 14
    Hi
    @Poul_Agertoft

A bit obvious, but here goes.... Make sure you haven't set the Orientation Lock to ON
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Display... Set Orientation Lock OFF

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I have my 550 mounted on my R1200RT. Using the original mounting hols for the Garmin but with spacers I have just enough clearance to rotate it 90 degrees for fitting it on in portrait mode before rotating it into standard landscape.
    Means I can't use the wonder wheel to adjust things but I don't like the Garmin devices
    Born free, now in debt