What's the largest SD card that a Rider v2 will accept — TomTom Community

What's the largest SD card that a Rider v2 will accept

banquobanquo Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I upgraded my SF card to 4Gb a couple of upgrades ago, but just purchased a new W. Europe Map for it, and it says this card isn't big enough. OK, I can buy a larger card, but will the v2 accept it, or is there an upper limit to size?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    A 16 gb card by SanDisk is always a good choice in my opinion.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,769
    Superuser
    @banquo

Though this is 2 years old, https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-2-sd-card-red-x-after-updating-map-failed-991661?postid=1037922 it looks like the limit is 4GB class 4. You may have to only download a suitable zone see this FAQ https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21070
  • banquobanquo Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks Niall, as I already have a 4Gb card installed, it looms like I'm stuffed, unless I only download part of the map, which is pretty dumb when I've paid for the whole thing. Not sure how to do it, and as I'm leaving tomorrow, the old map will have to do for now. Will see if I can download only a zone when I get back. You would think you would be advised the map is too big for the device BEFORE purchase. TomTom know the device; they know the map size, but they're happy to sell a map that cannot possibly ft on the device... :(
    Appreciate you taking the time to help.
    Superuser
    @banquo

You can change which zone(s) want on your device.
    Where are you going tomorrow?
    Thanks Niall; I'll look into how to do that when I get back. Only in the UK for the next week, and I know most of the roads well enough to get by. Are you saying that if I select the zones on my device, it will then download only the maps for those Zones? Heading off now, and likely to be out of signal until I get back...
    Superuser
    @banquo

Have a good holiday:sunny:
    When you download a zone it is a single map for several countries. You can also, at a later date change the zone and get a different selection of countries :)
    Afternoon all; I'm back to this again, but am getting nowhere with loading zones. Currently, the Rider is loaded with the last valid map of Western Europe, which shows as 2089.3 Mb. The instructions I found for loading Zones are as follows:

You can change the active map zone in use on your navigation device at any time using TomTom HOME. To change zones, do the following:

Click Manage my device in the main menu in HOME.

Click the Items on device tab.

Expand Maps, then click Change map zone next to the map currently on your device.

Your currently installed zone is shown together with a list of other available zones for your map.

Select a map zone to replace the one currently installed on your navigation device.

Click Done.

When I do that, I get as far as Expand Maps, but there is no zone shown other than the entire map
    nsk4uf7i4hnd.jpg

Even if I were able to somehow choose a zone, how could I upgrade that to the current version, when there seems to be only an option to download the entire map, which is too large to fit onto my device?

gx2osuxhppqr.jpg

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this, or am I stuck with an unusable map, and a device with an ancient map installed?