TomTom Go dying on me — TomTom Community

TomTom Go dying on me

My TomTom Go Live 825 has started dying on me. Sometimes it just stops giving/speaking directions, but the screen stays on with only the last instruction visible e.g. a turn to left or right). At other times it cuts out completely, coming back to life later showing the initial TomTom screen and showing ‘charging’, or just continuing with the planned route. Does anyone have any answers please?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,051
    Superusers
    Hi
    @PeterLNL

Are attaching the device to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle, they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power

The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

If the device is not supplied with adequate power, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen reducing the volume of the spoken instuction and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

ATB YFM
  • PeterLNLPeterLNL Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi, thanks for replying.

I am using the TomTom supplied cigarette lighter connection and cable. As I also sometimes have a problem connecting the device to my computer I have a feeling that the battery might be dying, but don't know whether TT supplies and fits these...
  • PeterLNLPeterLNL Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks YamFazMan.
    I have discovered that the battery is OK. Yesterday as a test I took my TomTom 'for a walk', so with no power source other than the (charged) battery.
    It showed the same symptoms again, the screen went grey, but showed on the 'task bar' underneath the last instruction. Then it sometimes cut altogether, restarting with the welcome screen (street scene with car). At other times it would suddenly resume the journey.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,051
    Superusers
    Hi
    @PeterLNL

Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM