Should I buy a 550?

SJEg
SJEg Registered Users Posts: 140
Outstanding Wayfarer
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hi,

The new 550 is out and about. Should I buy it? I own a rider 400. I think the rider is the single best bike GPS device available. The sad thing is that it is not great.

In general, I think the rider needs way to much user interaction to get things done. for instance: If I want to start a random GPX track and the end of the track happens to be the point close to me, it will automatically navigate to the end and ignore the entire route. Not a real problem so far, but the rider does not allow to manually pick a point where I want to start the track. The only way I can do this is manually navigate to a location where I want to start the route, and than stop and restart the route. This sucks! 90 minutes of highway driving right before the twisty roads starts, and the first thing I need to do is find a safe place to stop, stop, take of my gloves and and do stuff on the device that I could have don when I was leaving home.

The rider is full of these things that need to much user interaction and require me to stop etc etc. Instead of focusing on getting a super smooth bike GPS device, they seem to focus on bullshit functions that are borderline useless.

What do you think? Can we expect new software releases for the 550 that are not available on the 400?

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,832
     Superuser
    Hi
    @SJEg
    SJEj : In general, I think the rider needs way to much user interaction to get things done. for instance: If I want to start a random GPX track and the end of the track happens to be the point close to me, it will automatically navigate to the end and ignore the entire route
    Maybe....
    Plan your .GPX Track... Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon --> Current track... Drive to Starting Point
    Or
    On the Rider 4/5xx Tap on the Start Icon of your .GPX Track
    A Quick menu opens... Tap on the 3Dot Icon
    Select... 'Drive to the Starting point'

ATB YFM
  • miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,558
     Superuser
    SJEg wrote:

What do you think? Can we expect new software releases for the 550 that are not available on the 400?

RIDER400 Software is 17.300 and RIDER550 Software is 18.100
  • Ste7ios
    Ste7ios Posts: 759
    Superuser
    Version numbers doesn’t tell us anything useful... The core is the same.

This is what’s new compared to 450:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#What'snewcomparedtoRider450-Stelvio17.6

You’ve to evaluate if the new features worth the cost...

As we know from other users of 550 here the old problems remain, like the the hoarse voice...

IMHO the most important of the 550, is the fastest processor. It must be more responsive. WiFi is a welcome feature, it’s a convenience to be independed from a computer, but not so important. Apple Siri & Google Now support can be useful too (if they’re supported in your country)... Messaging on the Rider screen doesn’t tell ME anything. I prefer to have my eyes and my mind 110% on the road. I always disable that kind of distraction... (Thanks to Apple).

The most important is what happens on the road... No waypoint names, hoarse voice, and other problems & bugs should have ironed out from the 400 era...

I can’t understand what they’re thinking, the heads of TomTom... :worried:
  • SJEg
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @SJEg

SJEj : In general, I think the rider needs way to much user interaction to get things done. for instance: If I want to start a random GPX track and the end of the track happens to be the point close to me, it will automatically navigate to the end and ignore the entire route
    Maybe....
    Plan your .GPX Track... Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon --> Current track... Drive to Starting Point
    Or
    Tap on the Start Icon of your .GPX Track
    A Quick menu opens... Tap on the 3Dot Icon
    Select... 'Drive to the Starting point'

ATB YFM
    Like most people, I frequently get GPX track from other people. Starting points of those tracks are rarely a good point to start based on where I hop on the bike.

The same is true If I would like to take a short cut. Currently I have to stop, zoom on the map. Pick the point where I would like to continue the route. But doing so automatically cancel whatever track was currently active---> thus forcing me to make another stop to restart the track. It is just to much work. The alternative is to just ignore the device and go on your own instinct. If you do that, the device starts to recalculate the route and you lose any sense of where you are compared to the point where you would like to continue the track. etc etc.
  • SJEg
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    @SJEg

It's fine (most of the time) while giving directions...but until that moment... starting it, looking for an address is like a crime against humanity. Slow is an understatement and for this matter, I'll never buy another TomTom .
    Same here, it works just fine as long as you do not deviate from the original plan. The main reason I would by a new one is because I hope they will release new software on it with features that are usefull for people who like riding their bike instead of staying "connected"
  • SJEg
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Ste7ios wrote:
    I can’t understand what they’re thinking, the heads of TomTom... :worried:
    Same here. it is just mind blowing....the sad thing is that it is still easily the best device on the market. At least the rider is easy to use.