Do all traffic services need a smartphone? — TomTom Community

Do all traffic services need a smartphone?

jdskinner123jdskinner123 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I currently have a TomTom Live with traffic alerts but my device is no longer supported for traffic alerts so I need a new device. It is unclear from the product listings as to which new devices have to be connected via a phone which I do not want (as dead spots on phone coverage would mean connection would be lost) and which, if any, do not need a phone connection as with my old Device? Can anyone advise which devices do not need a phone connected for live traffic services to be available? Thanks. Jason

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    Hi
    The GO 5200 & Go 6200... Built-in SIM Card
    The Tomtom shop....
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/index.html

ATB YFM
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 694 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi, @jdskinner123 ,

As @YamFazMan states, the GO x200 Range doesn't need a connection to your Smartphone.

What they use is their own Built-In SIM Card, which is connected to the Vodafone Network (as a 2G connection).

Hence, if you are in an area of poor coverage (that affects ALL Mobile Users), then you will get the same problems whether you are using one of these or a Smartphone-connected device!

However, the positive side is that the 2G connection will usually still work even where a Smartphone will struggle (because of their dependence on 3G or 4G connections).

Hope this clarifies.