What to choose after start navigation in my routes to ride the exact route as on map

Fien
Fien Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 2019 in RIDER
It seems that TomTom Rider chooses it's own way sometimes and doesn't follow the map exactly.
Usually I choose 'shortest way' after opening 'start navigation'.
But now it gets really annoying, it sends me into residential areas where on the map it says around these areas.
What do I need to choose exactly after opening start naviation?

Comments

• EXPORTMAN
    EXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superuser
    Hi Shortest will always take you in the most direct route and that would be through residential areas if basically they are close to a straight line between start and finish.
    Try avoiding motorways, eco or fastest and see if that meets your requirements. Or use one of the many route planners ( including the tomtom one) and import the route to your device
  • Ste7ios
    Ste7ios Posts: 759
    Superuser
    A route consists only from the locations you want to visit. A GPS navigator will guide you from location to location. It may follow a different route because of traffic statistics for a specific time, or live traffic and other data...

You may guide it to a specific route by adding more intermediate locations in conjunction with the proper settings as EXPORTMAN said...

Or you can use a track. A track doesn't contain the locations you want to visit but it's more like an exact record of the whole trip that you may replay later. (That's why tracks are usually huge compared to a route file).

Also note that if you're using a different map (like Google Maps, Here, etc) to design your routes there can be differences because of different map data (missing roads, etc) or routing algorithms.

IMHO, TomTom must educate the users to such fundamental concepts. Obviously nobody is going to read the manual, so it can be a short message on the screen on related selections, etc...
  • Fien
    Fien Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    EXPORTMAN and STE7IOS,

Thanks for the answers.
    Btw, the route is imported from route planner (Tyre to Travel) to my device. Weird is the first 3 years I used the TomTom, no problems like above accured whatsoever.
    So, the last year it makes me feel uncomfortable using it because I never know in advance if I can rely on it for the exact route.

However, I will try one of the other (like avoiding highways) and I will try also adding more intermediate locations. Let's hope this will do.

Thx again!
  • EXPORTMAN
    EXPORTMAN Posts: 634
    Superuser
    Hi

With Tyre I tend to use the Hybrid map ( Google earth overlaying the map) that way I am sure I put the route pins on an actual road. If the two coincide it is most likely the pin is in the right place. There is nothing worse than putting a pin on a motorway only to find out it was on the wrong carriageway and the thing is nagging you to turn around and go back the other way. One good thing about the latest devices they seem to stop this nag when you hit the next waypoint. Maps change and different companies update at different times.

I make routes for riders with Garmin devices too so if you are sharing routes with mates then this is always a good idea to ensure your pins are in the correct place.
  • Ste7ios
    Superuser
    Hybrid - satellite map is valuable help, but it doesn't guarantee that there will be no mistakes. There are misalignments in some roads between all of the maps and the real coordinates... You've to put the waypoints at the right location for the specific map.

Tyre is not so good because of that. It doesn't use TomTom's map.

MyRoute-App is great at this aspect because it has all of the available maps (TomTom, Here (Garmin), Google, Openstreet etc) and you can compare the calculated route of every map and see any other differences by overlaying them.

In some cases I had to design two version of the route, one for Garmin and one for my TomTom to follow the same route. It was a piece of cake with MyRoute-App...

It's also very important to put the waypoints at the correct location, i.e. before or after a junction / turn, and at the right side of the road. Tyre has a really nice guide about all of those best practices...
  • spacegremlin
    spacegremlin Registered Users Posts: 21
    Apprentice Seeker
    option. (translated from dutch)

planning preferences.
    never change my route.

also here is mention about adding more points then you may be did. but you want as less points.
    but still the same route.

this i have to test yet. but i will see next week.

hope this helps.
  • Ste7ios
    Superuser
    As said before, a route file (ITN here) doesn’t contain any data about your route. It’s only a collection of the waypoints you want to visit. There’s no clue in the file, no directions of how you’ll get to a waypoint.

It’s on the navigation software of how it will guide you from one waypoint to the next one.

It will CALCULATE the route according to your settings and other factors like traffic statistics (https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9552/~/about-iq-routes) and LIVE traffic data (https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/tomtom-traffic/) to guide the sooner possible (always as defined by settings) and avoid troubles (like closed roads). (That’s what we’re paying for...)

That’s why you need intermediate waypoints. To guide it to a more specific route without loosing the mentioned versatility.

If you don’t want anything of the above, then you’ve to use tracks (GPX track files). They describe a route meter by meter. There’s no waypoints (but trackpoints), the navigation software doesn’t calculate anything, it ignores all the settings as they are pointless... It will replay what’s in the file...

In any case, always review your routes on the device before you start your trip...
  • spacegremlin
    Apprentice Seeker
    so i can use GPX in like mij tomtom urban rider?
    not a glue how to get that on it.
  • spacegremlin
    Apprentice Seeker
    thank you.

like i tough no.

but the positive thing is it can handle 255 points.

why, is the program crying to me if i use more than 100 points.?

thank you for answer.

or is there a limit differents between a rider 400 , 40 and an urban rider
  • Ste7ios
    Superuser
    Urban Rider can handle up to 100 waypoints. Older devices was up to 55... You may adjust it in Tyre...