Spark 3 Bike Ride Battery Issue

TheAlbionJackal
TheAlbionJackal Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Have used my new Spark 3 for a week, running and walking.

Charged it up fully overnight and went for a 3 hour bike ride this morning.

After roughly 2 hours, the watch ran out of battery.

What did I do wrong?

Or, shall I just send it back?

Less than impressed.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    What sensors were you using and under what conditions? 2 hours is a definitely short but it may have been a one time thing (sometimes it does not fully charge or discharges quicker than other times). Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty.

I would take care with your buying decision considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US), I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes. I would not expect much more development so what you get in the box will likely be all there is. There are also major connectivity and battery drain issues that have not been resolved in over nine months. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand from a company that is actively in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.

If the behavior continues and you decide to keep the watch you should follow up with Support. To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.