lifetime traffic on the VIA 53 |TomTom Traffic via Smartphone. — TomTom Community

lifetime traffic on the VIA 53 |TomTom Traffic via Smartphone.

TessaWebbTessaWebb Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
On the Via53 it says it has Lifetime Tomtom Traffic and also TomTom Traffic via Smartphone. Can you please tell me the difference. Can one be used without using my data?

Comments

• miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,417
    Superusers
    Hi, you have the traffic but you must connect your VIA53 to a smartphone. Only GO5200 and GO6200 can have traffic without to be connectef to a smartphone because of their integrated SIM card.
  • TessaWebbTessaWebb Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    I felt you would say that!!!

What's the difference between Lifetime Tomtom Traffic and TomTom Traffic via Smartphone then?
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,417
    Superusers
    One is commercial and one is technical.
    Sorry, don't understand the difference between commercial and technical.

If commercial is for busiesses with lorries, etc, then I thought that's what the 'professional' range was for.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    TessaWebb wrote:
    I felt you would say that!!!

What's the difference between Lifetime Tomtom Traffic and TomTom Traffic via Smartphone then
    Current tomtom models...
    (1)... The Start 42/52/62 range does not have live traffic

(2)... The Mid range Via 53 & Go 520/620 Models use a Smart Phone for live Traffic (You pay for the data)
    See... TomTom Traffic data usage
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576

(3)... The Top range Go 5200/6200 devices have a built in SIM card for live Traffic... No charge for live Traffic data

ATB YFM
    That's fine YamFazMan but the Via says it has both Lifetime Tomtom Traffic and TomTom Traffic via Smartphone. My original question was what is the difference?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    Hi
    @TessaWebb
    In the past you had to pay for a Live Traffic subscription....
    Now using your example, The Via Range, the Live Traffic subscription is free
    You will need a Smart phone to receive the Traffic data
    The Via devices do not have a built in SIM
    You will pay for the Data used on your Smart phone

ATB YFM
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    TessaWebb wrote:
    it has Lifetime Tomtom Traffic and also TomTom Traffic via Smartphone.
    Correct:
    It has Lifetime TomTom Traffic via Smartphone.
    I agree that lifetime traffic is now included but if it needs a smartphone why is it listed as two separate items instead of Lifetime Traffic via Smartphone?
    1 - Lifetime Tomtom Traffic
    2 - TomTom Traffic via Smartphone

It implies these are two different features
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi all

@TessaWebb
    These are two totally different things:

- Lifetime Tomtom Traffic: it's the product, the service, the information about the traffic conditions, as you have lifetime update for map.
    For your device it's free for other models TomTom is a paid service.

- TomTom Traffic via smartphone: it's the technical way. To use the "Lifetime Tomtom Traffic" service you need to pair your Via 53 with your smartphone using bluetooth. The service uses the SIM card of your phone and uses your data.
    No smartphone paired = no service Lifetime Traffic usable on the Via 53.
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/name/Connect/page/3#connect-phone
    In oppostion to models that have an integrated SIM card as the GO 5200/6200 more expensive which do not need to be paired with a smartphone for traffic.

Regards.
    That makes a bit more sense.

But, surely, the Lifetime Tomtom Traffic can't get any information about traffic conditions unless it's connected via a sim so if I didn't have a smartphone the service would be useless to me? My husband has an old fashioned Nokia but would assume he had traffic by reading that feature.

Or does it get roadworks, etc (that are likely to cause problems) when one connects via wifi to get updates? In which case it would have an idea of potential problems but not in real time.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    @TessaWebb To have continuous traffic information in real time the Via 53 must be connected to internet.

- At home, it's the Wifi which gives this connection as long as you are not out of range.

- When you use it in your car you don't have your Home Wifi, the connection must be done using the internet connection of the SIM card of your smartphone transmitted by bluetooth. Your smartphone is the modem.
    You must have a phone compatible with this sharing feature and a phone subscription that allows you to do it.

Regards.
    Thank you, everyone, for your help. I get what you're saying but I still think it is misleading putting the two features in the blurb: it does imply that you can get traffic without a smartphone.

Thanks again.