Via52 Maps. Not an improvement.

Cosmicap
Cosmicap Registered Users Posts: 14
Outstanding Explorer
edited January 2019 in Devices using MyDrive Connect
Our old TomTom Via220 used to recognise that we live a short way from a sealed road and when planning a route from Home would put in a dotted line to represent the cross-country bit to the nearest mapped road. It would properly calculate the shortest and reasonable route to our nearest town, about 44 km away by road.
Our brand new Via52 however does not recognise the nearby road the the old unit used and for the same journey sends us through the bush, along a route where there is not even a track to a road on the other side of our nearby lake and from there to town. When I ask it for alternatives it comes up with two more even longer routes. When I turn off the unsealed road option the result is the same. Why does the new unit not our nearby road? The only reason we bought a new TomTom was that unit was so old the maps could not be updated. I had always resented having to pay for map updates and had vowed not to buy a TomTom again, but as this comes with lifetime map updates I changed my mind. I will try and upload a picture of each device showing the different routes. What do you think?Thanks in advance,
Pete
The red line represents the route I would take and which our Via chose, being 44km, the dotted bit being our road that has never been noted to exist by Mr Google. The green dotted line along the blue line is where there are no roads, not even a walking track through the bush, 48km. I have blanked out identifying street names.5f16b78c-c69c-467d-bda4-09bde723e6b0.jpg

Comments

• Cosmicap
    Outstanding Explorer
    As an adenda I have just gone down to our mailbox, 1.59 km along a road that the Via 220 recognises and when I turned round to retrace back to Home the Via 52 made up a non-existent 14km journey. This is rubbish!
    Do I need to take both TomToms with me when I leave Home??
  • Cosmicap
    Outstanding Explorer
    Possible reasons for this erratic behaviour:
    a) My house has moved;
    b) Our local road has been removed. I don't think so as I can see it from the window.
    I'm embarrassed at the various typos. Is there no way to edit a Post?
  • Cosmicap
    Outstanding Explorer
    I have spoken with TomTom support who were going to send an email reharding another matter and that I could use that senders address to upload and send the above story. No email has arrived. Sigh..........
  • Cosmicap
    Outstanding Explorer
    OK I'll have a go there but my point is "the roads have not changed". Looking at the map of our area it is just totally wrong. There are roads (or tracks) marked which do not exist and there are additions to our road that does not exist, and parts of it that are not included. On my Mac the Maps app shows a completely different arrangement of roads and seems to be reasonably accurate. I wonder why the Via 220 was usable and still is but the updated map is so wrong? How much else is wrong??