Ascent vs Elevation

bothaa7
bothaa7 Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I would like to have an explanation of Ascent and Elevation as being used in my cardio 2 sports watch. After many discussions some people think ascent is the total distance travelled uphill but my understanding is that it is the total gain in height only, say from 30m starting point to 50m highest point will be an ascent of 20m althought you could have had multiple small up and down hills within this increase in height. And elevation will be the heighest point above sea level of your track.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Elevation is your height above sea level while ascent is the cumulative totals of all the climbs in your activity, so if you went up 50 1m hills it would read 50m, the same as if you went up 1 50m hill. Since ascent is a grand total and doesn't filter out small immaterial changes in elevation (even a flat road has changes in elevation) it can be a bit deceiving at times. This is why even when you start and end in the same place the ascent and descent can be different.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • bothaa7
    bothaa7 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Just to embroider then further...if you say the cumulative totals of the climbs, do that imply the cumulative change in elevation in a vertical direction or the distances added while climbing? Thus if I started at 30m elevation and my highest point had been 150m elevation then the ascent is 120m (vertical climb) or if I gained 120m in elevation the ascend is the total distances in metres of all the uphills??
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    bothaa7 wrote:
    Just to embroider then further...if you say the cumulative totals of the climbs, do that imply the cumulative change in elevation in a vertical direction or the distances added while climbing? Thus if I started at 30m elevation and my highest point had been 150m elevation then the ascent is 120m (vertical climb) or if I gained 120m in elevation the ascend is the total distances in metres of all the uphills??
    It is the change in elevation, not the vertical distance.