Why are the update servers so slow? - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Why are the update servers so slow?

13»

Comments

• Sam264Sam264 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I drive all over Europe for work and need my 6100 however I need to set aside 3 to 4 days to update the thing every time it needs an update and once it’s started updating it can’t be used for sometimes weeks until I find a decent WiFi speed in a hotel and can stay there a few days.
    Also why is my current download (12 hours and counting) continually bouncing between 62% and 56%
  • dmb_un30dmb_un30 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited August 13
    Same here, always. Usually give up but this time I accidentally deleted the maps on my sd card and device ...

Three days now, hours on the phone with TT "support" ..

300Mbps Virgin fibre, download ubuntu images (2Gb) regularly in a couple of minutes but TT ... rubbish written by some fourth-grader as their first project. I have a £300 doorstop but discovered how great Google Maps on my smartphone is so this is the last TT I'll ever buy.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,083 Superusers
    edited August 14
    Hi
    @dmb_un30

And your Device is ???

ATB YFM
  • AndyleAndyle Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I'm having the same issue and have experienced this issue in the past.
    I bought a TomTom Go Premium today and plug it in around 5 pm, it popped up saying there were 3 updates totality 9GB, and I started the install.
    It's now 8:15 pm and its only completed 49%.

I also have a 5100, same issue. The updates take such a long time. I thought there was something wrong with it and bought a new one because of this.

I'm also with Virgin ISP but connected at 50Mbps. Downloading large files are normally really fast.

Why is it so slow?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,189 Superuser
    Hi @Andyle

I have a GO Camper which is quite similar in spec to the Premium models. I have a download speed of 60mbs and can download and install the Full European map in well under 1 hour.

One thing you should do is to do updates one at a time rather than all in one go. I think you will find that will be quicker.

Doug
    edited August 20
    Hi
    @Andyle

Like Doug says
    Did you install multiple updates all at the same time ???

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... De-select any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time
    This will help to prevent a Log-Jam effect on the Tomtom Servers if something go wrong with one of the updates... The Server only has to wait for one update file to Time-Out

Europe map v1030 update....
    Here....
    (1)... I'm using a Win10 PC hardwired to Modem Virgin Media 110 Mb/s
    (2)... PC Connects to the Home Wi-Fi at 40 Mb/s
    (3)... The GO 6200 direct Wi-Fi connection to the Modem is 72MB/s
    ql89bdlgxupu.jpg
    I updated the Full Europe map v1030size 9GB +
    Oviously for me, updating the GO 6200 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background is the Faster option....
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install

I'm happy with an 9GB+ Map update in 23Mins 24secs (Stopwatch)

ATB YFM
    edited August 20
    Hi Andyle

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • usajayusajay Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi I am back.
    The latest update 8/28/19,has been updating for 16 hours and is 75% done.
    Just seems unreasonable for this product to use this method.
    I love TomTom other than this.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 495 [Exalted Navigator]
    I've just tried to add an additional map as a backup in case the main map update fails, but all I get is "Oops, something went wrong." It worked yesterday on my other GO6200, so I'm guessing the update server must be down at the moment. I'm not going to attempt to update my UK & Ireland map until I can successfully add a backup map.
    Just got home;Update Failed.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,189 Superuser
    edited August 29
    Hi @usajay

What time are you doing the updates and are you doing the updates one at a time.

Firstly if you do the updates when they have just been announced then you will be in a long queue. Someone on here has just commented that they were struggling with the updates and it was taking 2 to 4 hours. They had a problem and so were up at 2am (UK time) and thought they they would try then. The download took 22 minutes.

So consider what time would suit you where Europe is probably asleep and the USA has not quite gone to bed and the servers might be quieter. Worth a try.

Re the backup map if you download Venezuela or Iraq they are very very small files, circa 30mb, and so should not the long.

Doug
    Just got notified of new map updates.
    Despite many trepidations I did it.
    Finished in 15min.
    Good job TomTom!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online3

Red-Zeppelin
Red-Zeppelin
+2 Guests