Wrong heading when driving, unusable navigation — TomTom Community

Wrong heading when driving, unusable navigation

PedjaNPedjaN Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 2019 in Built in car navigation
So, a couple days ago, I bought a new Europe v.1005 map for my Laguna's Carminat TomTom Live, updated it via TomTom Home and I immediately started to experience a problem. When I drive, my car is positioned on the street, but it changes directions of an arrow, so it constantly recalculates and changes directions. Before that, I used some old Italy or France map, so I can't really tell if that happened before, as I reside somewhere else. The procedure was following:
  1. Created TT account
  2. Inserted initialized SD card into my card reader
  3. Automatically downloaded the latest firmware for my car
  4. Went into car and flashed the firmware from 8.844 to 8.884 (it flashes some three items)
  5. Went back to my PC with the card initialized with the car now having the latest firmware
  6. Bought a map ian TT home installed it on my SD card
  7. Went into car, inserted a card and started experiencing this issue...
Mind that my device shows 7-8 blue satellites when I check it, but not the speed while I'm driving. Heading in degrees changes all the time, but I don't know that if it's real heading.

What have I tried so far:
  1. Reflashed the firmware, but it now flashed only one item
  2. Tried everything with a different, much faster SD card (from the beggining)
  3. Performed a reset
  4. Removed and reinstalled Quick GPS data
Nothing worked. As it seems that the antenna is working properly, my question is what should I do?

Thanks

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,814
    Superuser
    @PedjaN

Think you need help from a user who has a lot of experience of your system, that being @Carminat
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 989 [Revered Pioneer]
    I’m sorry but I don’t think I can help much - I haven’t got a Carminat now.

However I wonder what display settings you are using. I always had mine set for 3D and In direction of travel.
  • PedjaNPedjaN Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    It's always 3D. Not problem with display...
    What do you think, is it safe to revert firmware and try again?

I found this:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9844.634510.Carminat_TomTom.cab
    Go ahead with that firmware download, it won’t do any harm.

QuickGPSFix is not important (and indeed, it has been known to cause problems occasionally in the past) - if you use your satnav regularly it picks up the same data every time it connects to a satellite (but from the satellites, the GPS data is more up to date than the one downloaded from TomTom).

I don’t quite understand your problem. Does it not navigate properly? Does it give wrong instructions, like it thinks it is on a different road and tries to turn you towards the correct road? Or is it navigating properly and instructs you to follow the correct route but the direction arrow swings across different headings as you travel even though you are heading in the right direction?
    Imagine the street and you're driving in one direction... And the arrow goes the right way and then turns backwards and it's like you going in reverse... Then it recalculates and then goes right again. I've had multiple renaults with TomTom and TomTom Live, never seen something like this... It just won't keep with the heading of a car...
    Here’s a stupid suggestion - change the car symbol?
    I'll make a video in a day or two. It's not about symbol, it's about navigation thinking that it's going backwards and in all other directions. It's literally unusable as it can't stick to the route after numerous recalculations.
    A video would be good. Probably best if you can get it showing both the satnav with its voice instructions AND the view through the windscreen to demonstrate that it’s not you driving badly. That would be useful to send in to TomTom. The Carminat is long out of warranty, but I would hope TT would care enough to consider it.
    [video]
    And also, I have another question. I buy map via TT Home and it forces me to upgrade the firmware, and, when flashing the firmware, it does it in 3 separate segments (going from 9.844 to 9.884). First upgrading app, lasting for 7-8 minutes, second like some chip drawn on the screen lasting for maybe 5 minutes and the third, also some chip drawn, for about 2 minutes. When I reinstalled the firmware, it was just one segment, the app. So I was wondering, maybe I have to reflash some of those other segments to try repairing it... Maybe (or maybe not) one of these is GPS chip and something went wrong during upgrading process...
    I don't understand why it is doing this - it must be a faulty GPS chip. I first thought the problem was because you didn't have a destination selected, but it also happened in the second part of your video when you did have a route planned. You are getting false satellite readings - this happens to me when I am in a town with very high buildings or I go through a tunnel which deflect the satellite signals so that the satnav thinks it is on a different road nearby - it can last for a long time even when I drive onto a clear road until it eventually gets an accurate fix from the satellites. Your video doesn't show high buildings, so it doesn't seem to be that.

I think you have to take this to Renault - send the video to their support team.
    Superuser
    @PedjaN

What is that orange bar attached to the ventilation grill?

Do you have anything near the Carminat the could be causing radio interference?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,516
    Superusers
    What is that orange bar attached to the ventilation grill?
    Millefiorimilano car air freshener
    Here... https://www.millefiorimilano.com/en/icon_car_air_freshener.xhtml

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    @YamFazMan

:sweat_smile: thought it might have been the source of the interference :sweat_smile:
    SO you think it's a hardware issue? I'll buy a new antenna, and try it. DOes anyone know which type of antenna is suitable? I found some Fakra, but not really sure. Cheers
    PedjaN wrote:
    SO you think it's a hardware issue? I'll buy a new antenna, and try it. DOes anyone know which type of antenna is suitable? I found some Fakra, but not really sure. Cheers

I do NOT know if it is a hardware issue, I think you should take it to Renault and get them to diagnose it.
    Superuser
    @PedjaN

Maybe a call to Customer Services, both TomTom and Renault might shed som light on this problem

TomTom :-
    :flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Renault:-
    Customer Relations
    Call 0344 335 0000 * or speak to a member of our Customer Relations team online.

*Standard network rates apply from mobile or landline phones
    Telephoning them will not do any good, he tried to explain it to us in writing, but it wasn't until he posted the video that we saw what is happening - the video is by far the best method of showing them what the problem is.

@PedjaN don't go buying a new antenna until you know that is the problem - if buying something new is going to be the answer, you might as well go out and buy a new car!!!
    So it was antenna after all. Solved my problem for 20e.
  • Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,966 [Revered Voyager]
    Hi PedjaN,

for explanation ...

The Firmware-Update 8.884 indeed include three firmware-updates.
    One for the Satnav itself, one for the GSM-Module and one for the GPS-Module.
    If the Update for GSM- and GPS-Module suceeded, it is impossible to flash the firmware to this modules again. As a result, only the SatNav itself will be updated during the second attempt to flash the firmware.
    Downgrade the firmware only downgrade the SatNav itself, not the two Modules. For this Modules it's only "one-time-version-up-flashing" ...

Regards

Troubadix12