speedlimit sound — TomTom Community

speedlimit sound

If I drive too fast in a town above a speedlimit - I would like a device that would BEEP or tell me to slow down. I have just acquired a tomtom (start 25M) that shows up on the screen if I drive too fast but this is no use as I never look at the tomtom (rely on voice).

I do not mean speed cameras - the speed limit for a road - typically 20mph or 30mph in my city (Cambridge UK)

I think the start25M will not speak this info - but please is there a tomtom that will speak it - very preferably a cheap one.
thanks
angus

Comments

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,439 Superuser
    Hi @angus1024

You can have a sound alert "Beep" for speeding and even change it which is no longer possible on new devices.

Tap the center of your Start 25 screen to access the main menu.
    main menu / Settings / Safety settings / activate what you want to hear or see including speeding.

The manual of your Start 25, unfortunately it is out of date but it can still help you in the discovery of your device.

PDF version:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/non-LIVE/refman/TomTom-EU-non-LIVE-RG-en-gb.pdf

HTML version:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/non-LIVE/html/en-gb/index.htm#Whatsinthebox.htm

Regards.
  • angus1024angus1024 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Laure123
    Thanks - appreciated.
    I had not seen this setting - just what I want.
    Have just got the tomtom (never had one before) and it is excellent - clear volice instructions so not distracted by looking at the screen.
    best wishes
    angus1024
    You're welcome. Thank you for your kind feedback.
    Thanks.
    One question/comment - as far as I can tell there is no battery status on the tomtom. Is that correct of have I missed something please
    On the screen there is a battery level indicator in the lower left corner, green, orange, red depending on the level.

See here number 6

You only see it if the unit is not connected to any power supply.
    • Connected to the PC, the symbol becomes a computer.
    • Connected to a power supply, car charger or mains charger, the symbol disappears.
    The TomTom car charger is a 1.2A. To recharge your Start 25 at home, you can use the charger of a smartphone of 1 or 2A, it will be faster than the 500 mAh of your USB ports. That's what I do. :slight_smile:
    Now I see it - thanks
    Its difficult to verify, but I suspect the TomTom would not beep if I were to exceed the speed limit. I think there is a visual indication though. it certainly responds to speed camers though.

Something else. I live in cambridge/uk where 'they' change the speed limits of certain roads (which is why I want a beeping tomtom). But one road had its speedlimit reduced over a year ago (2+ years I suspect) and the TomTom has not registered the change. I did update it as you suggested.

Thanks Laurie123 for your help - very much appreciated.
    angus1024
    Hi @angus1024

- Normally it's pretty easy to know if the speeding alert is activated, there is an orange / red visual alert and the sound if it's activated. It can even become very exasperating.
    In = main menu / Settings / Safety settings /
    You have ticked the box for speeding alert, chose a sound and confirmed the operation by tapping Next and Done?

- For speed camera alerts the setting is not in the same place. you have a free offer for 3 months.
    In = main menu / Services / Alert settings or Speed ​​Cameras.
    I'm French and in France the law forbids to report the precise location of the cameras, we only have zones, my menu may be different from yours.

- Your Start 25, you say you have updated it.
    Updates must be done one at a time, this is the best way to avoid operating problems. In this order NaVCore then map then speed cameras then Mapshare.
    Remember to do the QuickGPSfix at least once a week, this is the location of the satellites. Updates appear on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I recommend you after each update to do a Reset, I do it systematically even for QuickGPSfix.
    This forces the complete restart of the device's internal software. It's like Resart for a PC after Windows Update. you will not lose anything.
    • Press and hold the power button until you hear the sound of the drum, release the button. This may take 30 seconds. The device restarts by taking more time than usual, it's normal.
    - I also have places where speedlimits are wrong. It's quite common unfortunately. We can report them here:
    https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

But do not be surprised if your report is not included in MapShare updates. It takes several months for a report to be integrated and often they are never...

Regards.