how do i create a poi file and folders? — TomTom Community

how do i create a poi file and folders?

Hi, I'm really confused by the poi facility... I just can't figure out how to create a poi, or save a position on the map as a point of interest, on my device. There doesn't seem to be any way at all of doing it on the actual sat nav.
I've tried logging into mydrive,tomtom.com, and whilst on the route planner page, clicking the My Places icon on the left of the screen, and in that pop out window, it says Favourites and POI Files... when I click on POI Files, it's empty and says Import POI File. I don't understand what I am supposed to import.

Also, I have locations saved in My Places, that I'd like to categorise, and save into a (created) folder, and name that folder accordingly. Is it possible to do that, and in fact, create several folders, each with their own different contents? (This will help reduce the size of the list in My Places).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,248 Superusers
    Hi
    @easydoesit
    I use this method as a workaround for my "_Favorite Catagory"... Your POI Category titles could be anything you choose
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel
    Wait for Tyre to stop being busy

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”

e5b145ab-3a27-4fab-8142-8acd71b104de.png(3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI category to the top of the list

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use MyDrive Web Route planner to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner.....
    [video]
    You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead

If needed, you can search a POI Category: See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/tomtom-launches-mydrive-976972?postid=1004348

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC I've posted this How to guide using the method developed by User GEB
    It looks complicated but it isn't, most of the process steps are for the installation of the programs and set-up and are only required once...
    Then it's simply Drag 'n' Drop of a few files
    Link to Post.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1159989

ATB YFM
  • easydoesiteasydoesit Posts: 32 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi YamFazMan,

Thanks so much for your very detailed reply. Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond again.

Umm, I'm wondering, is your explanation for using a GoLive1000? The reason I'm asking is because, whilst I do have one of those, and still use it, I have been using a Go5200 along side it, and it's on this device I'd like to create the various poi folders.

For a reason that I know not why, the new 5200 doesn't appear in my list of devices on here.

Thanks again
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,582 Superuser
    @easydoesit

To add your 5200 to the list of devices you need to edit your profile, click here
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,248 Superusers
    easydoesit wrote:
    Hi YamFazMan,

Thanks so much for your very detailed reply. Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond again.

Umm, I'm wondering, is your explanation for using a GoLive1000? The reason I'm asking is because, whilst I do have one of those, and still use it, I have been using a Go5200 along side it, and it's on this device I'd like to create the various poi folders.

For a reason that I know not why, the new 5200 doesn't appear in my list of devices on here.

Thanks again
    Hi
    I use the above method the create Personal POI categories for all of my later/latest NAV4/5(Wifi) devices

ATB YFM