Quick GPS Fix gone

I have an old 750 Go Live (which I know is now unsupported, which is why I am here, not emailing support). It should be getting updates for Quick GPS fix (as well as cameras and map updates) until June 2019 when my subscription runs out. I do still get cameras and map updates, but stopped getting the Quick GPS updates about a month ago, can you tell me how I get these back please?

I did get an email from support in mid January saying the Quick GPS should keep updating until the subscription runs out.

Mike.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,877 [Superusers]
    Try calling support Monday, Mike but do NOT provide a model when prompted in order for a live agent to respond:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Mike_LincsMike_Lincs Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Oh, yes, the good old way of talking to someone, I will try that. Thanks for the phone number I only had a 0800 one on my phone which you get charged for, so that 020 number will be included in my contract.
    A little update, I followed the advice from dhn and phoned TomTom and was told there is a problem with the Quick GPS Fix at the moment and he said it is a known fault that they will be bringing out a fix for it shortly then I should be able to update and continue using it.

I will post on here if it gets up and running again.
    2nd Update

I waited for Tom Tom to get back to me regards to say they had sorted this problem but they didn't, so I emailed them myself again.

The first response said my device was too old and they did not give support any more, so I replied with a mention for the live services I pay for each year which still had eleven months to run, and the next email I got apologised for the first email and gave a solution!!!!!! I have tried the instructions, and on update, it did then offer me the GPS Quick Fix, so I will try it in the morning (when I next drive) to see if it hooks up to a signal quicker, like it used to. I will then post on here with the full results.

The instructions I got from Tom Tom Support were:

I would suggest you to follow the instructions mentioned in our support link to resolve the quick GPS fix issue: 1 : Connect your device to your computer and wait for your device to start. If your device asks Do you want to connect to 'Computer' tap Yes.
    2 : Click Manage my device in the TomTom HOME main menu. 3 : Select the QuickGPSFix check box. 4 : Click Remove items from device. When TomTom HOME has finished deleting the QuickGPSFix from your device, click Done. 5 : Click Manage my device in the TomTom HOME main menu. 6 : Click the Remove items from computer tab. 7 : Select the QuickGPSFix check box. 8 : Click Remove items from computer. When TomTom HOME has finished deleting the QuickGPSFix from your device, click Done. 9 : Click Update my device in the TomTom HOME main menu. 10 : Select the QuickGPSFix update you want to install by selecting the box next to it. 11 : Click Update and Install. 12 : Click Done when the install is complete. 13 : Click the Eject button in the status bar at the bottom of the HOME window to safely disconnect your device. Disconnect your device from your computer.

One thing I did find that did not work as above was, there were two versions on my computer but none on my device, so I just deleted both from my computer and on Update, it did then offer the GPS Quick Fix.
    Final Update.

Good news!!!

The fix above did work, so my old sat nav now has the GPS Quick Fix for another 11 months (until my live subscription runs out then I can not renew it any more).

Mike.
  • MattHarrMattHarr Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for this Mike, I have the same issue on my 825 Model.
    This is really bad that TomTom force us to throw away old devices when they are perfectly good

The reason we like our 825 is because it has 'avoid part of route' etc that tomtom removed from the software a few years ago - not sure if this function is now back on the newer models ?
    MattHarr,

Oh no, I use the 'avoid part of route all the time, when you come across a fresh collision or road closure that TomTom hasn't updated, so TomTom think you should go that way but you can't, so the only way to get the sat Nav to pick a different route is to tell it you need to avoid it. I do hope it is on the new ones too.
  • MattHarrMattHarr Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Mike, do you use TomTom Home or MyDrive connect?
    I'm on my drove connect and it won't let me get at quick gps fix to delete and reinstall !

my brother works at halford and says the 5200/6200 range is excellent, but I'm cautious now know TomTom can make your perfect item redundant overnight....
  • TomsDinerTomsDiner Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    MattHarr wrote:
    The reason we like our 825 is because it has 'avoid part of route' etc that tomtom removed from the software a few years ago - not sure if this function is now back on the newer models ?

Yes, new models have this.
    I bought a GO 520 WiFi 2 days ago (on 1 October 2018), and it has a "Avoid part of route" feature. I used it when planning and storing routes on the other side of the world (where I will be in a few weeks).
    MattHarr, I still use TomTom Home 2 on my laptop to update mine, although they have switched off most of the features now, but I can still update maps, cameras, and of course, Quick GPS Fix again now.
    I read the terms and conditions of the "Lifetime Maps and Live Traffic" and that is only about 5 to 10yrs! It is not the owners lifetime, but the lifetime of the sat nav which they say might not be long. That is verging on misleading and a Trading Standards issue! But I guess we just have to tie with it.

TomsDiner, I am pleased to hear your new sat nav does have 'avoid part of route', and you have found the world maps useful, so all is not lost.