Body composition on TomTom Touch — TomTom Community

Body composition on TomTom Touch

NeilTBNeilTB Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Touch
Since the latest update the body composition function has ceased to work. I have taken numerous reading every day and at different times of the day but the reading is frozen on the same figures. Previously my reading always had slight fluctuatios but never remaind static for more than a couple of days.
I also had a notification on the app saying something seems to be wrong but it did not say what, the message has not appeared since.
Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to rectify it?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,319
    Superusers
    Do a factory reset, but you should not be doing readings several times a day at different times, this is actually why it is changing a lot. Your composition changes throughout the day based on hydration, activity and other factors so you are throwing it off. It should be done once a day at the same time every day to get a consistent reading (ideally, do it right when you get up in the morning). Doing multiple readings actually messes up the results.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • NeilTBNeilTB Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply, I have not done a full re-set yet. I have previously only checked my body composition on a daily basis first thing in the morning. My composition then changed dramatically once the update was installed, I suspected someting was wrong so started tests at different times of day to see results. The new composition reading has not moved in any direction which is a total contradiction to the last 15 months of readings.
    My diet and exercise routine has not dramatically changed to cause a 5% increase in fat and a loss of 5% muscle in a single day.

Tried cleaning contacts as per user instructions but no difference, there are other problems relating to the device freezing and screen not responding whilst in activity mode, all have happened since latest update..
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,319
    Superusers
    They also might have changed the algorithm behind the calculations, which made a permanent adjustment to the number (it happened once early on as well). Ultimately, the number is irrelevant, it is the trend over time that is important. Every body fat composition device takes a measure differently, some measure the whole body (if you stand on sensor pads and hold them in your hand as well), and others (like the Touch) are predominantly looking at the upper body as they are using the hands (arms) only. Since the torso has a much higher fat content than the rest of the body (this is where most people keep fat stores, plus the organs are all protected by visceral fat), a torso dominated measurement will generally be a higher number. The important thing to look at is not the actual number itself, but at the trend. Is the number going up and down over time (looking at weeks and months, not days)? That is the key, to look at the trend, not at a specific number. The measurement is also heavily influenced by the time of day you take it, your hydration level, where you are on your menses cycle (for women) and other factors that it will vary day by day. By looking at it over the long term and seeing how it is trending you will get value out of it.

I am a competitive athlete with body fat in the single digits (8%-9% generally) and the Touch shows me around 15%. But it is consistently off by that percent, so knowing that it is always going to be offset, I do not worry about the specific number but more if the number is improving or getting worse.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.