Over complicated GO6200? — TomTom Community

Over complicated GO6200?

EdwardHolmesEdwardHolmes Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
After TomTom stopped updating my trusty and reliable QL I decided to go for the 'best' and bought a GO6200. I absolutely HATE IT, It is seriously over complicated, difficult to program and totally overpriced. When in voice mode It decides to take me home no matter what i say, it does NOT reset to the basic map after getting home, it shows a portion of a journey i made a week ago, you cannot alter the volume or add a camera as easy as the old QL you cannot amend the warning noises for say Camera or Speeding as you could on the old QL an yet this is the top of the range and VERY expensive item. There are other issues also, like trying to update via the computer does not work for me. I am just so totally frustrated that if it was not so expensive i would just bin it and go elsewhere. Sadly it is now past the guarantee period, but if TomTom reads this and will have it back i have all the packaging etc as new.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Here's a guide:
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

Many of your concerns are addressed in it.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @EdwardHolmes
    After TomTom stopped updating my trusty and reliable QL I decided to go for the 'best' and bought a GO6200. I absolutely HATE IT, It is seriously over complicated, difficult to program and totally overpriced.
    You will find everything is new/different but once you get used to the new system it's easy
    When in voice mode It decides to take me home no matter what i say
    That's will be the 'Predictive Routing' the more you use the device the more destinations/journeys/day/date the better the predictions will be
    Or if your like me... You can turn off 'Predictive Routing' in the setting menu
    It does NOT reset to the basic map after getting home
    You need to actually visit the destination location for the route to cancel
    It shows a portion of a journey i made a week ago
    See Above... Or Tap 4Dot (...Menu) --> Current route... Clear route
    or use Voice control 'Clear route'
    You cannot alter the volume
    Tap 4Dot (...Menu) Slide the volume slider

ed2964c6-d467-4851-a96d-dcd5b62b1598.jpg
    You cannot add a camera as easy as the old QL you cannot amend the warning noises for say Camera or Speeding as you could on the old QL
    The later/Latest devices have less customizing features than the previous ranges....

But for general improvement for a NAV4/5(Wifi) device over the default settings
    Use a Computer voice...
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed...
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Average Speed camera Zone'
    'Red Light Camera'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'
    (snip)
    There are other issues also, like trying to update via the computer does not work for me
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 6200 update using Wi-Fi...
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wifi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

To view image Click 'Show Content'
    870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps
    I am just so totally frustrated that if it was not so expensive i would just bin it and go elsewhere. Sadly it is now past the guarantee period, but if TomTom reads this and will have it back i have all the packaging etc as new.
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Anyone willing to make me a good offer?
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,120 Superusers
    When i got my go 6200, i found it different but now i can't go back. Try to use it, you will like it!
    GO6200
  • EdwardHolmesEdwardHolmes Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Had it 6 weeks now, try to use it daily, but so very frustrated. Its not a case of learning, i just do not like how it is operated, i was hoping the technology would mean it did things better, faster and easier, not the case.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @EdwardHolmes
    Your reply only confirms what i said, totally over complicated.
    Back in 2011... I had a XL Live IQ routes Europe, during the first update I found the latest Europe Map wouldn't fit... I exchanged it in the 30 day exchange period for a Via 120 Live Europe

Using the NAV3/4/5 devices is as easy to me as using the NAV2 device is to you...
    I dare say that if you were to write down the similar instructions for me to follow for using/setting up the NAV2 device it would be equally complex

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'