TomTom Spark 3 watch does not display the correct KM (miles)

jack69
jack69 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
hello

recently my tomtom watch no longer mentions the correct km (miles)while i'm running
this has all started since the watch has once failed with a flat battery, have already done a soft reset / hard reset .. this does not help
the device is 6 months old

anyone knows the problem ?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Is it giving no mileage or is the mileage incorrect? What are you gauging its correctness against? I have not heard of any problems like this so you probably want to call Support directly. To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • jack69
    jack69 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Is it giving no mileage or is the mileage incorrect? What are you gauging its correctness against? I have not heard of any problems like this so you probably want to call Support directly. To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    The milleage is incorrect i took my phone a record a route with strava and day after i did it with tomtom watch and its a diverence..
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    jack69 wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:

The milleage is incorrect i took my phone a record a route with strava and day after i did it with tomtom watch and its a diverence..
    A variance in distance between devices is totally normal. The nature of consumer grade GPS is that each data point collected is only accurate to within 15m-30m of your actual location. We give it a lot more credit than it deserves, it is not exact, it is an estimate. The watch collects the data points and then tries to figure out a route using them (considering that some points may overlap or duplicate) and a corresponding speed. The watch then smoothes the data to come up with the most reasonable route taken according to the algorithm it is programmed with. This is why every watch, even two of the same model, will come up with different distances and speeds, as they are collecting different GPS data. There is no way to know which is correct, and in fact both of them are likely wrong. You need to simply pick a device and stick with it, ultimately consistency is more important than accuracy. Does it get the same relative distance on the same route repeatedly? If so, that is what is important not if the route s off by .2 km between devices.