Too much calories cointestato?

Silvia Deiana
Silvia Deiana Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,
It seems ti me that my spark3, using INDOOR CYCLING mode, counts too much calories (473 I'm 1.50 m tall and I weight 50 kg).
I'm right?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Hi,
    It seems ti me that my spark3, using INDOOR CYCLING mode, counts too much calories (473 I'm 1.50 m tall and I weight 50 kg).
    I'm right?
    Are you using it with a speed/cadence sensor? If so, it is using METS tables which are base don pace,. not your HR. without it is using your HR and a standard calculation and is generally pretty accurate as long as your weight, gender and height are correct in the watch. You did not say for how long or at what HR you were riding so the calorie number in itself is meaningless. I burn 700 calories or so in an hour riding at 20MPH at 160 lb.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Silvia Deiana
    Silvia Deiana Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    And do you think that GYM mode is accurate? 280 kcal for 45 minutes or weightlifting? Other sensors calculated 180 kcal more or less
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    And do you think that GYM mode is accurate? 280 kcal for 45 minutes or weightlifting? Other sensors calculated 180 kcal more or less
    Again, it is based on HR so it is theoretically correct if all your personal stats are. But the underlying formulas are all base don averages so it depends how you fall to the average. this is true of every device. Calories burned is a function of how much oxygen your muscles uptake, there is no way for a watch to measure it, it is guessing based on a tenuous link between HR and calories burned.

A second consideration is the calories counts during weight lifting are not accurate. The calorie algorithms in this and every sports watch assume it is a cardiovascular activity in which multiple muscle groups are being used, whereas in weight lifting you are generally isolating a single muscle group. The elevated HR is due to pressure from pushing that single muscle, not from increased energy usage throughout the body, so sports watches are going to naturally over count calories during weight lifting because if this.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.