My spark 3 does not charge the battery..

Iwan van Dam
Iwan van Dam Registered Users Posts: 8
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I got my spark today and connected it to my pc. After a while I looked for the battery status and the status bar does not move. It seems it does not charge it self.

Must it be off when I charge it?

Also, I have it connected to my laptop now.

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    It does not need to be off to charge. there is a known issue with battery drain in later updates which may be impacting you. I would start with a factory reset and see if that fixes it and if not, go to the link below and as for a rollback to 1.3.255.

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/unable-to-pair-sync-after-update-to-firmware-v1-7-53-runner-and-spark-watch-series-1030088

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    For the support process: I checked the pins of the charger, they seem to be ok.

Question: If I want to use a wall outlet, what do I use? I got different usb chargers from samsung smartphones...
  • Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    It does not need to be off to charge. there is a known issue with battery drain in later updates which may be impacting you. I would start with a factory reset and see if that fixes it and if not, go to the link below and as for a rollback to 1.3.255.

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/unable-to-pair-sync-after-update-to-firmware-v1-7-53-runner-and-spark-watch-series-1030088

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

When I turned it on for the first time it was charging.

I did see the version and it was just the version you described (1.3.255)

It seems you talking about pc software. I do not use Windows or Apple's Mac. So I am not able to do a factory reset?

Thanks for the help btw ;)
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    You have to have a Windows or Mac PC to fully used the watch (it is written write on the box). without it you will not be able to do resets or get updates (which is why you are on such old firmware). You should borrow a computer so you can do the reset and see if that helps.

• Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    You have to have a Windows or Mac PC to fully used the watch (it is written write on the box). without it you will not be able to do resets or get updates (which is why you are on such old firmware). You should borrow a computer so you can do the reset and see if that helps.

Yay! I could borrow a computer with windows on it. It runs windows 10 and I have installed tomtom connect from www.tomtom.com/123

When I put the USB plug in but nothing is happening. It is not charging nor it is recognized by the program.

I will try to reboot the computer and try again.

Edit: I rebooted the computer and install all updates. It is still not recognizing the watch...
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Are you getting any error messages when you plug the watch in or is it being recognized at all? Does the clock face change to a battery charging icon (which indicates it is getting power so there is a partial connection). A few things to look at (and I apologize if some are very basic but it is best to get past the obvious issues first):

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    4) Is the USB plug free of any debris or blockages?
    5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?

In particular, make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle. If it does not have a full connection it will charge but it will not be recognized by the computer. It seems simple but this is generally the issue. It needs to fully click into the cradle and it may help to take it out of the band to do so. Also check that none of the pins on the dock are bent or pressed in, as that will prevent a connection.

If nothing above helps you may have a bad dock or there may be computer setting blocking it. At that point I would suggest calling Customer Support and seeing what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, click Contact at the bottom of this page, enter the product name and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

• Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?

Yes, I used 2 laptops and 1 desktop.
    Yes, 3 computers and all broken? Not likely.
    Yes, I do not want to put more pressure on it because I am afraid to damage it and void warranty.
    I checked and it is.
    Yes, it asks to connect my device (I dont even hear a connecting sound when you plug in a (any) USB device
    6)Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    As far as I know I did both. I downloaded it from tomtom.com/123 and it is MySports, and see my previous answer, no connecting sound from the usb.
    As far as I know. I did install it, however, I do not know what is changed ever since.
    Accept for the standard sh*t Microsoft is serving you, i dont think so.
    Is it? I thought it was BlueTooth that was needed. At least for the watch.
    I would like to but no windows user, I could borrow 1 computer with windows but another one???

I understand these questions but I feel it is the (usb) cable or the watch. I dont understand it even less because the first time it functioned. Now it is not? Strange.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    You have to have Internet on the computer, it only uses BT to the phone app 9and you would still need Internet access on the phone). Whenever you sync it is going tot he TT servers to save the data and check for updates.

It may very well be the cord. Are any of the pins bent or damaged? They can get stuck down and you need a pin to loosen them. Other than that you should call Support as there is nothing more that can be done here.

• Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    You have to have Internet on the computer, it only uses BT to the phone app 9and you would still need Internet access on the phone). Whenever you sync it is going tot he TT servers to save the data and check for updates.

It may very well be the cord. Are any of the pins bent or damaged? They can get stuck down and you need a pin to loosen them. Other than that you should call Support as there is nothing more that can be done here.

I do have internet and live in the netherlands so no problem there. ;)
    Syncing it is not a problem. The connection between the watch and computer is.

I have the phone number off tomtom. So I will call next monday about it.

The pins seem ok but I am not an expert in these things :P.

Thanks for helping me ;)
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    tfarabaugh wrote:

Thanks for helping me ;)
    No problem, the reason I brought up the Internet was because in response to question 9 you asked if the internet was required to sync and I was clarifying it is.
  • Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:

Thanks for helping me ;)
    No problem, the reason I brought up the Internet was because in response to question 9 you asked if the internet was required to sync and I was clarifying it is.

It is not important to sync my computer with tomtom. In this case I was wondering what it meant to the watch and the phone... In this case it uses bluetooth.

However, when connecting and syncing to the computer you need an USB cable in order to communicate. Internet is not required in this case otherwise I would need an internet subscription with the watch ;)

But very thanks for the help ;)
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:

Thanks for helping me ;)
    It is not important to sync my computer with tomtom. In this case I was wondering what it meant to the watch and the phone... In this case it uses bluetooth.

However, when connecting and syncing to the computer you need an USB cable in order to communicate. Internet is not required in this case otherwise I would need an internet subscription with the watch ;)

But very thanks for the help ;)
    Internet is required, the USB cable is simply connecting the watch to the computer so the Sports Connect software can transit your data to the TT servers, via the Internet. You have to sync to TT, that is how the activities are processed, it is done on their servers, not on the watch.
  • Iwan van Dam
    Master Explorer
    There is some memory involved so internet in not really required. Over the long term maybe but like i said, memory.

I have contacted tomtom support directly. They agree with me that it might be the cable. So they send another one.

Untill then this is the solution :)

tfarabaugh, thank you for helping me ;)