Peloton cycling and TomTom Stars data

LemAlabama
LemAlabama Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I feel like I don't get much credit for very long and intense Peloton indoor cycling workouts. I will bike hard for an hour with very strong caloric use and feeling totally depleted, but I might only get a "star" of less than 100........alternatively, if I do a much more leisurely 5K in less than 30 minutes & caloric use of maybe 500, I will jump right into the TomTom IMPROVING category with a star in the 500-700 range. Seems like I'm not getting much credit for the effort of the indoor cycling. Any thoughts?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    What mode are you using? Indoor cycling or gym? Do you have a speed/cadence sensor on the bike (unlikely with a Peloton)? without a speed/cadence sensor on indoor cycling mode you will get no credit for fitness points as they are only measured on running and cycling and require a pace measure.

I would not worry about it as I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • LemAlabama
    LemAlabama Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I am using indoor cycling mode, and the Peloton doesn't have a cadence sensor available to other devices. That's too bad.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    LemAlabama wrote:
    I am using indoor cycling mode, and the Peloton doesn't have a cadence sensor available to other devices. That's too bad.
    Depending on its layout you may be able to attach one. On my spin bike I attached one magnet to the flywheel and the other to the pedal and was able to align the pod so it read them both. It is worth looking at.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.