No further updates available Via 130

I have a TomTom Via 130 Serial No. AV7xxxxxxxxxx27 which I purchased solely because it was offered with free LIFETIME maps (There was nothing wrong with my old TomTom) only to find that I am no longer able to do any updates even though the website states that devices with lifetime maps are not affected. What a con!

Mod edit: Please don't post personal or private information on a public forum.Thanks!

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,526 Superusers
    Hi
    @[email protected]
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions Call Tomtom Support...
    Important... When Phoning....
    When prompted by the Auto Response System DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information stay silent, wait for a live Tomtom agent to respond

Phone Tomtom Support...

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    After my post I returned to My Drive with my Via 130 still connected to my computer and it decided to do some sort of update. I can only presume from the time taken that it was a map update. However, the screen clearly stated that my device was not supported any longer. I find it all very confusing.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,526 Superusers
    Hi
    @Bartessa
    The Via 130 Serial No. AV********** is a 2GB device
    "AV" --> Via 130 / 135, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3

I assume you have the UK&ROI Map... The latest Map is v1005

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I'm also very upset with TomTom over this.

I am unable to extend my speed camera subscription even though my device has the latest map. There is absolutely no reason for this except to push people into buying new devices. This is NOT because the device wont accept the update, it is because TomTom have CHOSEN not to allow it. They lose out by the cost of their subscription but now want me to commit hundreds of more pounds to their cause!

My VIA130 'reached its end of life' after just 5 years. The cost of the product new, plus the cost of subscriptions for speed cameras has meant that over 5 years it has a high cost of ownership and is poor value.

TomTom say that 'Lifetime Maps' subscribers will continue to receive updates but that is only half true. I've received one map update in the last 12+ months. I can't continue to use the speed cameras and therefore the device is only half useful.

I do realise that in the very very very tiny print TomTom decribe 'Lifetime' to mean something completely different to a normal person's understanding of the word. It's not good enough.

I now get told in order to update my current subscription I have to ditch my 'lifetime updates' device and buy another one at a cost in excess of £200 for their recommended one (they dont give a discount on the new equivalent of what they already sold me!). But of course, the one they are trying to sell me has already been out for over a year so who is to say that in another couple of years I dont have to face this all over again?

I'm now seriously looking at buying a different brand. Whether the competition is any different in this respect I don't know, but I do feel pretty let down.