Pedometer malfunction — TomTom Community

Pedometer malfunction

Stella.andreaStella.andrea Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Touch
hello, I write to report the malfunction of the pedometer (software version 1.44.12).
In the overall step counting, normal movements performed by sitting are also calculated as steps, such as when driving in the car or while writing to the computer.
How can I solve the problem?
Who can I contact?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,732
    Superusers
    The activity tracker is detecting steps based on movement and incidental movement of your arm will be enough to trigger steps. It is not an exact science, it is meant to be directional guidance. For every extra step it picks up from brushing your teeth, or moving your arms while talking or driving, it is missing steps when you are walking pushing a cart or walking with your hands in your pockets. Again, it is meant to give you a directional view if you are active enough, not an exact count. I personally find it directionally accurate, in that during a day I am fairly active it is picking up more steps than on sedentary days. If it is off by a few hundred or a thousand steps I am not concerned, if I am several thousand short it means I need to get up and move around more.

There is nothing to fix and no one to contact, it is just the way it is. If you are not happy with it you should consider another device.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Stella.andreaStella.andrea Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hello, thanks for your reply.
    Certainly it is not a scientific device, but I believe that when a customer buys this device he expects to have a very precise pedometer.
    I say this above all because in the description of the device it is indicated that the pedometer is accurate and that the distance traveled is calculated through the pedometer.
    I have tested the device for several days and the number of total daily steps is multiplied by at least 3 times compared to the actual steps.
    I sincerely hoped it was a more accurate device.
    Last question: are the answers to the questions in this forum certified directly by TOM TOM?
    thanks again for the availability
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,732
    Superusers
    This is a user forum, no one speaks for TomTom (TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates or ongoing issues publicly, here or elsewhere). If your device is off by that large an amount it may be defective, first try a factory reset and if that does not help call Support. It is one thing to be off by a few hundred or even a thousand steps, but off by a multiple of 3 seems like a hardware issue.

To do a factory reset, make sure the Connect software is running and dock the device to your computer. The Connect window will open; press the gear at the top right and select factory reset from the next screen. Follow the steps provided and when prompted to register or sign in to MySports, select sign in and use your existing account credentials. It is fairly straightforward and should take less than 5 minutes.

To get the number for Customer Support, select Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.