No GPRS on TomTom Go 5200 — TomTom Community

No GPRS on TomTom Go 5200

TomTomManTomTomMan Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
I've just bought a Go 5200. Wifi seems to work fine. I was able to log in to MyDrive and update the operating system etc. Also downloaded a UK map which was far faster than downloading a new version of the Europe map it came with. On WiFi the traffic stuff seems OK and I can touch a red spot on the map and get further information. However if I switch off the WiFi I expect to see a GPRS connection and get traffic info that way. In fact I do very rarely see a connection but even when I do there are no traffic updates.

I've tried a reset (tom tom sounds) with WiFi turned off but no joy. I've also done a restart (had to reenter WiFi password), but wtill no joy.

Any ideas? I see that some people have had some initialisation done customer services and I've suggested this to them in an email. That was yesterday so no help yet.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,091
    Superusers
    Hi
    @TomTomMan
    Check you are still logged into MyDrive on the device
    Sometimes after a update the device forgets the Password in MyDrive

NAV4 Devices.... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) -> TomTom Services... MyDrive
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi)... ...Tap 4Dot (.... menu) -> Settings -> MyDrive

ATB YFM
  • alanchownalanchown Posts: 37 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I had exactly the same issue. When this happened in the past a call to the help desk livened up the SIM.
    This time it didn't happen so had to return it. Posted on Monday and returned Thursday so quick.
  • TomTomManTomTomMan Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    YamFaz,
    Yes its logged into MyDrive with WiFi. I switch off WiFi and nothing from GPRS.

Alan,
    Thanks for that I'll see if the help desk come up with anything. Failing that it's back to Amazon for a replacement. Is this hardware rather unreliable I wonder?

Seems to be no way of disabling WiFi on the 5200 - is that true?. It's annoying I have to keep switching WiFi off on the router to experiment. Apart from disconnecting from my network which means I have to reenter the rather fiddly password.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,091
    Superusers
    edited May 31
    Hi
    @TomTomMan
    Turn off Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with X
    70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

ATB YFM
    YamFaz,
    I Know;I said:-
    "Apart from disconnecting from my network which means I have to reenter the rather fiddly password."
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,726 Moderator
    @TomTomMan

I had a quick look at your account I don't see the GO 5200 linked, so I think that could be the reason the services are not activated.

Could you please get in touch with the customer service, they should be able to help you with this.

Regards
    Vikram
    Vikram,
    Thanks for your message. I spoke to customer services today on a protracted 38 minute phone call at my expense. They claim to have linked it and also have "made some changes to the SIM." I am to wait for up to 3 hours and it should then be working. I suspect that the hardware is defective but we'll see. Failing this it's back to Amazon for a replacement and a very bad review!!
    I returned the 5200 to Amazon and have just received a replacement. The old one must have been faulty since the new one works OK without needing a any calls to customer services.

Since there was a doubt about getting the old 5200 linked to my account I created a new account with new email alias and used that. I now have two TomTom accounts. Is it possible to delete the old one? I can't find a way to do this. I suppose I can just ignore it but that seems rather a waste.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 547 [Exalted Navigator]
    TomTomMan wrote:
    I returned the 5200 to Amazon and have just received a replacement. The old one must have been faulty since the new one works OK without needing a any calls to customer services.

Since there was a doubt about getting the old 5200 linked to my account I created a new account with new email alias and used that. I now have two TomTom accounts. Is it possible to delete the old one? I can't find a way to do this. I suppose I can just ignore it but that seems rather a waste.
    Glad you got it sorted. I'm pretty sure that anything to do with account management would have to be done by calling TomTom to make the necessary changes.
  • jholwejholwe Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hello,

I've just bought a TOMTOM GO 5200 and my GPRS doesn't work so I can't receive traffic information or live services. It is linked to my tomtom account as far as I can see. Can somebody help out? Thanks!!
  • NiallNiall Posts: 11,034
    Superuser
    @jholwe

Where in the world are you? As neither US or Australia now have GPRS
    In the Netherlands, so should be fine I suppose
    I just see two cars and a cross. In settings it also says that GPRS is not connected.
    @jholwe

I made some changes to your account. Now just do a soft reset(press and hold the on/off button till you hear the drum sounds) and plan a route to test the services.

Regards
    Vikram
    Thanks VikramK, it all works fine now!
  • GarethUGarethU Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I'm having exactly the same issue. No GPRS. When away from wife stays as disconnected so no traffic on journeys. Tried soft and hard resets as per various instructions but no luck. Have I got to contact customer services?
  • GarethUGarethU Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Should say "when away from wifi" not wife.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,891
    Superuser
    Hi @GarethU

Contact Customer Support. Don't detail the Model when asked but wait until you are through to a member of Staff. Ask them to check the settings for your unit at their end. This has resolved this issue for others..

United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello,
    I too have a TomTom 5200 & can never get the GRPS to work.
    Can someone please have a look at my account & make any changes/reset the SIM to activate the GPRS.
    I am in the UK.
    Thanks.
    Hi @A2Z

Welcome to the community! The services for your TomTom look okay. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps advised in the video below-

Thanks, Vikram