Follow trace on Adventurer is consumed energy more ? — TomTom Community

Follow trace on Adventurer is consumed energy more ?

Wolf95Wolf95 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
does follow a trace on trail mode download on TOMTOM adventurer consume more energy than juste use trail mode only ?

I would like optimize my energy for my futur trail !

regards

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,516
    Superusers
    Following a track does use substantially more energy as the screen us constantly refreshing and the compass is turned on. If you are looking to save energy, do not use this feature. I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Wolf95Wolf95 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to be sure, is it just when we check screen who show position which consume more or anyway there are some background process that consume energy in this mode even if i check the screen ?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,516
    Superusers
    Wolf95 wrote:
    Just to be sure, is it just when we check screen who show position which consume more or anyway there are some background process that consume energy in this mode even if i check the screen ?
    If you have the trails mode turned on so there is a trail that you are following it uses more battery as it is constantly polling your position and adjusting the display accordingly. Anytime you change a screen you will use more battery.

Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only, 2 weeks for watch only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.