Memory Space TomTom GO takes — TomTom Community

Memory Space TomTom GO takes

SimonTOMSimonTOM Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
According to android TomTom Go takes 686 mb of space on the internal storage of my phone. I think the map is on external SD card. When I remove the SD card GO does not work. So why is it taking so much space on internal storage? I already removed it and installed again however this makes no difference. It would be very helpful if you could see more easily from the program itself which space is used on what location. Maybe there is still an old map on internal storage?

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    It is in internal or external.
    Not in both places.

You will find it under \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp (internal)
    or
    You will find it under \Android\data\com.tomtom.gplay.navapp (sd card)

There might be a folder "com.tomtom.gplay.navapp" in both areas but one is empty.

The size is about right that you stated for Benelux maps.

You can not move the folder to the SD Card it has to be installed there from the start.

What you could have is the Old TomTom app maps still on your phone.
    That would have to be removed to free up space.

So check and see where you really installed TomtomGO
  • SimonTOMSimonTOM Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Maybe it has to do with Android Marshmellow seeing the SD card as part of the internal storage? With a file manager I can't even look at Internal storage (not available) it only shows the "Main Storage".
    SimonTOM,

I have TomTomGo on Android Marshmellow and can see clearly both the Internal and the SD card.

I can also contect the phone to a laptop and see both internal and SD card.

That being said when you connect the phone to the laptop the phone will need to connect via USB.
    That is done when you pull down the menu on the phone and tap on files and it then can be seen on the laptop.
    Both Internal and external drives.
    @Asprin624 You can choose if you want to use the SD as adaptable storage or portable storage under Marshmellow. I think I have chosen adaptable and you probably portable.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage
    If you say you are using it as adaptable storage and not many phone have this:

I quote the website:

"Most high-end Android phones don't support Adoptable storage"

"If you choose Internal, things change. The device is formatted as a local, 128-bit AES encrypted EXT4 drive and mounted as part of the system every time you start your phone. It's then set as the preferred storage, and you're prompted to move data over. Newly generated data is placed on the adopted storage by default.
    If you try to remove it, things go haywire. Your phone will throw errors until you are forced to factory reset it and you can't read the data on the SD card with any other device or the original phone once it's been factory reset. That means you either have to insert the card back in the phone and hope things return to normal or delete all your stuff and reformat the card. If an SD card you're using for adoptable storage fails, you are out of luck."

And you said that you removed the SD card:

I quote you:
    "When I remove the SD card GO does not work."

So you would of received all types of errors correct??

And the fact you say you are using adaptable storage then space is not a problem.

Correct??
    @Asprin624 , well not 'all kind of errors'. TomTom Go is just not able to boot. If you put the card back it all works fine. With adaptable the space still seems to be a problem because I think it works less well than promoted. Marshmellow shows that there is 2Gb empty space on my SD card however the operating system is not transferring files to this empty space although it should use internal and SD as one disk. For the end user it is not really clear where the data is located because in a file manager there is only one drive. And my smartphone is sending messages it is almost out of space although there is still enough space left on the sd card and Marshmellow should use this space as well. Anyway, not really a problem TomTom can fix.