In the market for new Tomtom. Why are the current models so slow and laggy? — TomTom Community

In the market for new Tomtom. Why are the current models so slow and laggy?

AndyTTAndyTT Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 30 in Travel lounge
After receiving an end of support email for my XL routes recently, I decided to check out the latest offerings at a few retailers here in Adelaide.

Without exception, every Tomtom model I evaluated at four separate retailers, over the course of two weekends, exhibited laggy menus. To the point of being totally unusable in a practical real world sense.

By comparison, the opposition brands on display all performed faultlessly.

What is the general consensus and situation here? Is there an endemic failure with the recent generations of Tomtom GPS models?

Indeed, reading some of the posts here in these forums is not very encouraging.

Or are these showroom display models running old firmware maybe? Have there been some historic issues with laggy firmware that have since been resolved?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like to stay with the brand, but if my recent experiences in the showrooms are the norm, I may need to consider otherwise.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,969 Superusers
    Hi
    @AndyTT
    AndyTT wrote:
    Are these showroom display models running old firmware maybe? Have there been some historic issues with laggy firmware that have since been resolved?
    Yes highly likely running old software

Also the display devices have probably been so 'messed up'/'messed with' they need at least a Soft/Drum roll restart See Note(1)... and/or a Factory reset Note(2)...

From Sleep Mode my NAV4/5(Wi-Fi) devices are ready to use in 1 to 3 Seconds
    From Turned off Mode (Cold Start) my NAV4/5(Wi-Fi) devices are ready to use 45 to 55 seconds

I don't find the NAV4/5(Wi-Fi) devices or menus to be laggy

The latest NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices are quicker than the previous NAV4 devices

Note(1)...
    Try a Drum roll restart on the device....

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

Note(2)...
    Tap the 4Dot (....Menu) Icon --> Setting -->System --> Reset Device

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'