GO 1005 gray map and reboot loop following latest update

richev
richev Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using MyDrive Connect
My (formerly) trusty TomTom Go 1005 has developed an intermittent issue since the latest map updates (v10.05) and software update.

During use, the map area will change to being completely grey (as shown in the photo below) and after a few minutes the unit will reboot. When the map area is grey the touchscreen still works (the three panels at the bottom of the screen change colour when pressed etc) but nothing else seems to happen.

I've done a reboot (press power for 10+ seconds until you get the black screen containing small text, then triple-pressing the power button) but the issue persists.

I think that the issue may relate to when the unit is trying to update Live services (due to the spinner icon on the right-hand side of the screen). However, I've not had a subscription to these for years, and I'm now using this unit in Australia having originally bought it when I lived in the UK.
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

360433b7-4313-4b51-8501-575b48591347.jpg
(Note that I took this photo just after disconnecting the unit from my PC, hence the PC icon is shown in the bottom-left corner. The issue happens irrespective of whether the unit is connected to a PC or not.)

Version information shown below
ac16c02b-9647-445b-bc4f-723a0d325768.jpg

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,174
    Superuser
    @richev

Remember after each up date to do a soft reset, you will loose nothing, it is like rebooting your computer and reloads all the new files from an update.

A soft reset :- with your device charged for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply; press and hold your on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound (or the TomTom hands symbol appears) then release the on/off button. Make sure you are outside and have a clear view of the sky (satellites)

Your UK purchased device may this it is still in the UK (and of the map) rather than in Oz
  • richev
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for the reply @Niall, however I've done plenty of soft resets and the issue persists.
  • richev
    Apprentice Traveler
    Fixed, by going to Settings and hitting Reset factory settings, choosing a partial reset.

55025083-40f9-4ebb-a14a-54febf2e0ccc.png