Spark 3 pace tracking

JerryTomTom
JerryTomTom Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I have no confidence in my TomTom Spark3's ability to track my pace while running. Ex: Why does it show an uploaded activity as a 7:18/min pace, yet when I look at the reading given at any specific point along my path it is 20-40 seconds higher than that mile's overall average?? Does this make any sense to anyone? Am I getting bogus readings when I glance at my pace during a run?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    If you search the forums you will see that pace accuracy is a long term issue with these watches that have never been solved. there is the problem you are seeing as well as its inability to accurately track "instant pace". While no watch has true "instant pace" (it is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness), TT does a pretty poor job at it (but honestly my Garmin is not much better). A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 5+ years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now, particularly considering II has left the wearables market and is no longer producing devices. at this point I would expect bug fixes only (if that) go forward. We are going to have to live with it or move onto another brand.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.