MyDrive sync - Routes without thrill sync to rider only as route, not as track — TomTom Community

MyDrive sync - Routes without thrill sync to rider only as route, not as track

maxmillenniummaxmillennium Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hy, just for a start, I love my Rider, MyDrives and I think I read all the FAQ, the forum posts and the 150 pages manual - which by the way does really cover everything in detail and helped me fully understand how my Rider 450 works. Since I own GPS devices since the very early Garmin days (8-channel serial receiver, 10min to get a position with 120m accuracy), the difference between a waypoint, routes and tracks is well known. I understand the concept of MyDrive, that customized routes per drag and drop on the map and thrilled routes become tracks and cannot be routes any longer.

My rider is connected to my phone via BT tethering. All TomTom service work including sync of MyPlaces, radar, traffic and MyRoutes. There's just one thing I can just do with a workaround and I do not understand why it is like that. Maybe I still do something wrong.

Here's the scenario:
  • I plan a holiday with a few routes and tracks
  • Routes are not customized, just stops and "fastest", not "thrill".
  • I can save these routes to MyRoutes and they are still routes, not tracks.
  • But I can only activate the switch "sync to device as track".
  • A route instead, would be much more flexible to use on my device
  • Routes get not synced
The workaround:
  • Send route manually to device one by one (BT or USB)
  • Save each route manually on the device as "MyRoute"
  • The route stays a route and can be used flexible
So, since it is possible anyway, just more complicated and time consuming:

Why isn't it possible to sync routes (no thrill, no customizing) as routes to a device and keep the full functionality compared to an inflexible track.

Thanks in advance for any help or even better outlook that this would be possible in the future.

f r e d

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,423
    Superusers
    Hi
    @maxmillennium
    Here's the method I use...
    (1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon
    106f2d25-cf5c-442f-8f09-9e61a0ae2e1c.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send to Device' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon)

(6)... 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'

(7)... The device will calculate your route from your new location

(8)... 'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note....[1] A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options

Note...[2] During an "A" to "B" route transfer... The device drops Location "A"
    Note...[3] This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

See... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/tomtom-route-planner-route-selection-on-the-go-5100-differ-1030046/index1.html#post1198253

Note...[4] The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
  • maxmillenniummaxmillennium Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hy @YamFazMan and thanks for your quick reply.

What you describe solves the special effect with the starting point. But it does not solve the effect I actually tried to describe:

Planning a few routes with MyDrive and have them synchronised like tracks or places without sending each and every one to the device manually and save the current route one by one using the device. You would have to do that for any small change in addition.

Routes should get synced as routes like tracks or places do.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,423
    Superusers
    Hi
    @maxmillennium
    If you transfer a route using the method I Suggested....

Then on the Rider 450 look in 'My Routes' you will find the Arrow by the file name is Solid (Route/.ITN)
    Whereas the Arrow by the file name is for a .GPX (Track) is Dotted

c96bddc1-b535-41e5-8b90-0465556eabae.jpg
    When you load a route created using the MyDrive Web Route planner 'Send to Device' option
    Then Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon look at/in 'Current Route' all the subfolders will reference Routes

When you load a route created using the MyDrive Web Route planner 'Save and Sync' option
    Then Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon look at/in 'Current Track' all the subfolders will reference Tracks

ATB YFM