TomTom GO Mobile App — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Mobile App

ROSS2309ROSS2309 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi there,

I am doing Route 66 in May and was looking to create custom maps to allow me to stay on Route 66.

I have created a custom routes from Santa Monica to Barstow and loaded it up on my mobile using TomTom Go Mobile. It all seems to be fine and the route showing up seems to be the route I've programmed.

Has anyone got any experience of using custom routes they've created? How well does TomTom stick to your route?

If I purchase TomTom Go Mobile for a month, do I need mobile data whilst abroad or will it work using just the app and my GPS?

Thanks.

Comments

• JvdZJvdZ Posts: 77 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I've navigate quite a distance (8100 miles) in the USA using TomTom Go on android using routes prepared in another tool and uploaded to mydrive.tomtom.com and then synced to my S7. Navigation works perfectly as long as you don't make a change to the route as that will obviously do a new recalculation. When you deviate from the original route for whatever reason, it will keep on giving directions to return to the original planned route. I've actually enjoyed using it on the motorbike and part of the route was a section of Route 66 as well. :)

Jos
  • ROSS2309ROSS2309 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    JvdZ wrote:
    I've navigate quite a distance (8100 miles) in the USA using TomTom Go on android using routes prepared in another tool and uploaded to mydrive.tomtom.com and then synced to my S7. Navigation works perfectly as long as you don't make a change to the route as that will obviously do a new recalculation. When you deviate from the original route for whatever reason, it will keep on giving directions to return to the original planned route. I've actually enjoyed using it on the motorbike and part of the route was a section of Route 66 as well. :)

Jos

Hi Jos,

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

That's exactly what I was looking for - sounds like this could do the job. Out of interest, what tool did you use to create your routes in before uploading them to mydrive? Do they need to be in a specific format as I've already created routes in Google MyMaps and found that I can't actually use them with Google Maps.
  • JvdZJvdZ Posts: 77 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    ROSS2309 wrote:
    That's exactly what I was looking for - sounds like this could do the job. Out of interest, what tool did you use to create your routes in before uploading them to mydrive? Do they need to be in a specific format as I've already created routes in Google MyMaps and found that I can't actually use them with Google Maps.

I use Basecamp & ITNCONV on my computer and online myrouteapp to prepare/play with routes. They all have the ability to export the route to an GPX format which you can import in mydrive.tomtom.com. The reverse is also possible as mydrive also has a GPX download option for a calculated route.

Jos
  • RalphGRalphG Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    ROSS2309 wrote:
    If I purchase TomTom Go Mobile for a month, do I need mobile data whilst abroad or will it work using just the app and my GPS?
    Did you find an answer to this part of your question? You would only need mobile data if you want to get traffic and, I'm not positive, but maybe speed camera information too. Otherwise for route navigation you need just the app and a compatible Android device with GPS.