Distance Problems with Runner 3

BillyWhizz64
BillyWhizz64 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi...Just recently invested in a Tom Tom Runner 3 Watch, rather than carry a phone on my arm.
However I have noticed once I stop it after a run, or pause it then Stop, it states on the screen Alter the total distance or something like that ???? Today I ran 14.5 km but my watch only recorded 5.65 miles (9:09km) Why ????

Is it a change in pace, Heart Beat or something in my settings ?????

Please help...driving me barmy

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Hi...Just recently invested in a Tom Tom Runner 3 Watch, rather than carry a phone on my arm.
    However I have noticed once I stop it after a run, or pause it then Stop, it states on the screen Alter the total distance or something like that ???? Today I ran 14.5 km but my watch only recorded 5.65 miles (9:09km) Why ????

Is it a change in pace, Heart Beat or something in my settings ?????

Please help...driving me barmy
    If it is asking you if you want to adjust the distance it means you are using treadmill mode which is not measuring it on GPS, it is using stride length times steps, which is very inaccurate. Make sure you are in run mode and it should be fine.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BillyWhizz64
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes....I was actually at the gym and on the treadmill..Lol. So there is no real way of gauging mileage/Km when on treadmill, despite what setting i have it on ????
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    The treadmill accuracy is very hit or miss as it depends on an accurate arm swing to approximate steps (which means if you stop swinging your arms by grabbing the handrails it will stop counting steps) and multiplying that by an assumed stride length based on your gender and height, which may not be accurate. This is why they have the adjustment option so you can correct it to the treadmill measurement which is much more accurate (even an old treadmill will not be materially off on distance). The adjustment just correct the record, it doesn't learn anything so you will have to adjust it every time. Since they have left the wearables market and closed the Sports division, this is not going to change, we will have to live with it as it is.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BillyWhizz64
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh......Many thanks for your time and assistance, I am relieved it was not something I had overlooked, and just a minor inconvenience I can live with
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.