Why don't I see the current speed on my Runner 3?

Vincent_vdH
Vincent_vdH Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I think that the Runner 3 calculates a average speed as current speed. On an iterval training, when I start speeding up, it takes some time before the speed is on the new level and after finishing the interval, the speed on the watch is reducing far more slower than I run.

Anyone recognises this?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    If you search the forums you will see this is a know issue with the TT watches. No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 5+ years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now, particularly when TT has left the wearables market and is no longer producing devices. It is what it is and we will have to live with it or move to another brand.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Vincent_vdH
    Vincent_vdH Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for this clear answer. The only thing that bothers me yet is that I searched the forum for this topic and didn't find it, while you say that this is a known issue...