GO 6200 Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Problems — TomTom Community

GO 6200 Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Problems

Hi.......

I have just purchased a GO 6200 but it won’t connect to Wi-Fi. It originally saw the various networks and I selected the strongest one, entered the password and it then said “Saved” but did not connect. Selecting the same, now “Saved” network just told me that I was out of range. Kind of crazy as I was just feet away from the router. It then refused to see any networks at all as the remaining networks also moved to the “Out of Range” section. Refresh (bottom right of 6200 screen) achieved nothing.

I then reset the device, took it to another location, using a different network, and got exactly the same problem.

All other devices have no problems at all with these Wi-Fi locations.

I then attempted a Bluetooth connection to my phone but it simply fails with a pairing error.

Now I am attempting to update the maps using the USB cable. It keeps getting to around 40% and then dropping back to 23%. It won’t complete the update so now I have no maps either!

Any ideas? I’ve had 4 or 5 TomTom devices over the years so I am not new to them… though their Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are of course new.

It just looks very dead on the comms side.

Any ideas?.... or do I just return it?

Many thanks!

David

Comments

• DaveHorneDaveHorne Posts: 54 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I had a different problem so what I'm suggesting may have absolutely no value. :)

Have you logged into or created a TomTom MyCloud account online with your computer?
  • DavidA1DavidA1 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I haven't tried that but my problem is simply that I can't get the 6200 to talk to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 495 [Exalted Navigator]
    You have to make sure that your GO 6200 is not physically connected to your computer or your sat nav won't connect to and use your Wi-Fi.
    Many thanks for that but the 6200 is not connected at all. The relevant Wi-Fi networks simply end up, after attempts to connect, in the "Out of range saved networks" and showing "Not in range". There is no doubt that the various networks are definitely in range. I can believe that this is a one off "duff" unit. If that is not the case it seems a shame that TomTom have taken a good unit and "enhanced" it with facilities that make it a less than good unit. Maybe they should have just left it with a USB option?... or as I say maybe I have a one off bad unit. If there is nothing else to be done I guess I will have to return it.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,083 Superusers
    Hi
    @DavidA1
    Is your Wifi network operating at 5.0 GHz ???
    Tomtom NAV5 Wifi devices will only connect to a 2.4 GHz network

ATB YFM
  • DaveHorneDaveHorne Posts: 54 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    5G routers are backward compatible. (I just looked that up to be certain.)

802.11ac (aka 5G Wi-Fi) is the next step after 802.11n (aka N or Wireless-N, which is currently is the most popular Wi-Fi standard). It's backward-compatible with N, meaning that a 5G Wi-Fi router will support N clients and 5G Wi-Fi clients will also be able to connect to an N router. Wireless-N, in turn, is backward compatible with the rest of the wireless standards, including 802.11g, 802.11b, and 802.11a.

That means you can replace a router at home right now with a 5G Wi-Fi router and existing wireless devices, such as your laptop, iPad, iPhone, and so on, no matter how old, and they will still connect to your network the way they have always worked. To have the devices to work at the speed of 5G Wi-Fi, however, both the clients and the router need to support 5G Wi-Fi.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,167 Superusers
    Uh, this is a Tomtom product you're talking about, Dave. :thinking:
    Hi
    @DavidA1

Try option... (2) Below....

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 6200 update using Wi-Fi...
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wifi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
  • bigbig Posts: 1,565 Superuser
    DaveHorne wrote:
    5G routers are backward compatible. (I just looked that up to be certain.)

We're talking about 5GHz WiFi. The TomTom does not have a 5GHz receiver. It will not see a 5GHz Wifi signal -- it has no hardware to do so. You may be confusing 5GHz with 5G -- some people use 5G as another name for 802.11ac
    Many thanks for everybody's input. Sadly the device doesn't want to do what it should do. Time to take it back for a credit. All those good things like is it on 2.4 Ghz etc. had been checked.

Many thanks for everyone's ideas.

Kind regards,

David
    Hi
    @DavidA1
    Just to resolve the problem and help others who are maybe in the same situation....
    Was/Is your Wifi operating at 5.0 GHz ???

ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 495 [Exalted Navigator]
    DavidA1 wrote:
    Many thanks for that but the 6200 is not connected at all. The relevant Wi-Fi networks simply end up, after attempts to connect, in the "Out of range saved networks" and showing "Not in range". There is no doubt that the various networks are definitely in range. I can believe that this is a one off "duff" unit. If that is not the case it seems a shame that TomTom have taken a good unit and "enhanced" it with facilities that make it a less than good unit. Maybe they should have just left it with a USB option?... or as I say maybe I have a one off bad unit. If there is nothing else to be done I guess I will have to return it.
    If the unit will definitely not connect to your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network then it might just be worthwhile checking to see if it will connect to either a friend's or your workplace Wi-Fi if applicable, just to absolutely eliminate there being some (as yet unknown) problem with connecting to your own network. I have a GO 6200 and it connects without any problems to my Synology RT2600ac router, so it should connect if it's functioning correctly.
    Many thanks. Sadly it does not work on any networks that I have tried, including work. I guess it is going back!
  • nathanhullnathanhull Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My Go6200 was exactly the same. It worked once on WiFi and then wouldn't connect again until you reset the stupid thing back to new. Honestly it was the worst purchase of my life. I ended up smashing it up on my dashboard if was so bad. This WiFi problem is endemic and Tom tom refuse to acknowledge if. Appalling.
  • ambrambr Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    FWIW, as I am sure the original problem would have been resolved by now, any WiFi access point that supports 5.0Ghz will indeed normally support 2.4GHz for reasons of backward compatibility. But there will be a setup option on the access point/router as to whether you want to support both. I have a BT HomeHub and by default it supported both but I was able to turn off 2.4Ghz so that it became an access point solely for devices that supported 5.0Ghz. But maybe some default to 5.0Ghz only unless you enable 2.4Ghz support.

Might be helpful to others on the forum to post the outcome? If the above was not the reason then I presume the device was faulty.

Personally I have found WiFi connectivity on my 620 to be 100% reliable - conversely the Bluetooth connectivity is abysmal
  • David LosadaDavid Losada Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same here. TomTom520. WiFi fails and TT says WiFi Out of Range. I'm at 2 meters from the router. A good router with both 2,4 and 5GHz bands. I have to update my TomTom through the computer via My Drive Connect and a USB cable.

In Spain.

Very bad TomTom
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,191 Superuser
    Hi @David Losada

I have a GO6200 based unit and I have found it connect to my BT router at home fine, 2.4GHz not 5GHz which Tomtom units do not connect to and do not even list it as an available wifi. I have even logged on to my Mobile Mifi, when there was a problem with the inbuilt Mobile sim connecting to the Tomtom servers, and got Traffic data which was a godsend as there was chaos all around where I was at the time.

It is possible there could be a setting in the router which is stopping the connection.

Doug
  • StanStan100StanStan100 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Brand new out of the box tonight. It initially connected to my WiFi. 9% complete and it reports no Wifi signal. It showed a weak signal then went out of range! Sat beside my router and still it told me I was out of range. Did a ‘forget network’ and tried to connect to a purportedly weak signal. No good. Did a hard reset and this time the unit saw a strong signal from my router and started downloading again. Now at 38% at 21.25hrs. Disconnected at 21:27!!! Spoke too soon. Now presented with a screen telling me about ‘available space’. Switch off again. Now have a weak looking WiFi and the unit is trying , unsuccessfully, to obtain an IP address. Another hard reset and I’m presented with a screen telling me I’m now 39% updated and therefore connected to WiFi (21:36). 21:38 and downloading interrupted again. Is the problem at Tomtom’s servers. Try again. Out of range again. Another hard reset. Seems to be connected again as 44% downloaded (21:46). This could take some time! I’ll update tomorrow!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,191 Superuser
    Hi @StanStan100

When it is not downloading go into Wifi in Settings and Tap on the Wifi connection name and you will get some figures down the left hand side of the screen. What download speed is it saying.

If you have a low download speed , Tomtom suggest 30mbs then it is suggested that you use it connected to a PC. If you use this method then when you open MyDrive Connect software on PC and connect your TT unit to it you still need to use the menus on the TT unit to manage the updates etc.

One other thing is when you are doing updates you should do them one at. time starting with Software then Maps, Voices and mapshare last.

Doug
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 626 Superuser
    edited July 5
    Just to clarify something, as advice seems to be a little wayward on this post....

The TomTom devices only operate on the 2.4GHz band, not on 5GHz. This also means that they can't even see the 5GHz band to connect to in the first place.

What this means is that if you've seen a network name advertised on the TomTom as being available for connecting to, by definition it's operating on 2.4GHz... otherwise it simply wouldn't be listed.

So to those people who have a connection established (which will be over 2.4GHz) then finds it immediately says it's out of range, try resetting your device. If that doesn't help then try an alternative wifi access point - I know the iPhone's hotspot access point works fine with the Go, as I use that all the time.

If you get the same problem with that, then I'd suggest returning the device for a warranty fix/replacement.

EDIT: I'm also reading about lots of forum posts by disgruntled Netgear router users, who are describing just this behaviour - i.e. initial 2.4GHz connection is fine, but then very slow or non-existent Internet access.
  • StanStan100StanStan100 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks @DougLap.
    Sat next to my router I get 38mbs.

Thanks @dmulv
    Must remember the hotspot tip.

By 23:35, and despite all the problem messages, all the maps had downloaded and the unit was operating as expected. It seems that all the reported problems were erroneous and the unit was always downloading - can't think of any other reason. Very odd.

Whilst all this was going on I noted that the TomTom unit did not identify itself as such as a device connected to my network although a couple of unknown devices were showing, one of which I assumed was the unit.

All's well that ends well. Unfortunately, not quite, the 12v dual USB charger supplied with the unit does not work!