very poor pronunciation. Impossible to recognise location | Go 5000 — TomTom Community

very poor pronunciation. Impossible to recognise location | Go 5000

Our local town is Issoire, Puy de Dome, France. It should be pronounced ISSWAHR, sometimes it is pronounced correctly, especially in conjunction with another term such as "route d'Issoire" Otherwise it is pronounced "Izzwoy" which is most annoying and unrecognisable to local inhabitants and visitors. Could you kindly correct please? Many thanks Ron

Comments

• Troggy53Troggy53 Posts: 50 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I empathise Ron.
    As a person who learnt basic Welsh language and pronounciation when in junior school I am appalled at the high percentage of badly pronounced Welsh place names and road names on my Trucker 6000. Many times I hear the computer voice Serena blurt out some unrecognisable string of syllables and find myself at first amused then irritated that the massive TomTom research lab cannot manage to record the Welsh language and use it where necessary.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,968 Superusers
    Hi
    Have you tried....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Voices
    Scroll down
    Set... 'Read aloud foreign street names' to On

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Hi YamFazzMan Yes. that has always been switched on. Issoire is not the only incorrectly pronounced name. Le Mans is pronounced as printed, whereas it should be Le Mahn and Lyon is pronounced as Lions instead of Leeyon.. Very annoying. Hope it can be sorted please. Perhaps Troggy53 and I will have a happy solution some day, not too far away. Thanks for any more help