Map display and live traffic info on 1625TM — TomTom Community

Map display and live traffic info on 1625TM

VictekVictek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
I recently got a VIA 1625TM. On my old Garmin I was able to display the 3D map view without having to program in a route, but at the moment the 1625TM is only displaying the 2D/overhead view when I haven't programmed a route. Is there a way to switch it to the 3D view? Sometimes I don't need a route, I just want the visual feedback of the 3D map.

Also the 1625TM is supposed to have free lifetime traffic, but I never see traffic alerts on the map when driving even when they show on other mapping systems such as Google Maps and Waze. How do I view the traffic information? TIA

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    Tap the bottom left panel while in the driving view screen when it is in 2D and it switches to 3D.

The T in the model means there is (or should be) a combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger for the device. Thus you get traffic information using the fm signal on the radio. It is NOT Live traffic as it only shows main roads and doesn't refresh as frequently as does Live traffic models but it is better than nothing.

Further, it will only show traffic when a route is planned and does NOT cover all cities. See the coverage below:

http://www.ttwnetwork.com/index.php/solutions/2013-04-02-15-39-16/coverageareas
  • VictekVictek Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    dhn wrote:
    Tap the bottom left panel while in the driving view screen when it is in 2D and it switches to 3D.

The T in the model means there is (or should be) a combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger for the device. Thus you get traffic information using the fm signal on the radio. It is NOT Live traffic as it only shows main roads and doesn't refresh as frequently as does Live traffic models but it is better than nothing.

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can figure out how to switch the view and post back.

Regarding the traffic alerts are they audible only or should they display on the route as well?
    dhn wrote:

I was able to switch the map view from 2D to 3D; that helps a lot thanks!

Regarding the traffic information I am using the car charger that came with the unit. When you refer to the FM signal on the radio does that mean I have to tune to a particular FM station to hear the traffic information or should it come through the 1625 speaker? How does it work?
    Superusers
    You don't need a specific fm station.
    I still can't figure if this unit offers traffic information plus there is confusion about what model it is. It says 1625TM on the box and the unit matches the picture, however it identifies as a Start 62 in MyDrive Connect which appears to be a European model that doesn't support traffic. Then if I go into the unit's System settings and open "About" it states it's a 1615 TM. Can anyone explain?
    Superusers
    Again, if you connect the combo rds antenna/car charger to the device in the car, you should see a message at the top of the screen 'Rds antenna detected (or something similar)' and then a traffic bar on the right side with a green dot to signify traffic signal detected. Confirm precisely with support:

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
    dhn wrote:
    Again, if you connect the combo rds antenna/car charger to the device in the car, you should see a message at the top of the screen 'Rds antenna detected.

Thanks for clarifying. When I turn on the unit it says "RDS TMC receiver detected", however I do not get a green dot on the route bar on the right. On the route bar I see the ETA, icons representing speed cameras and gas stations, etc, but no traffic information. I have sent email to Tomtom Support.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser

Thanks, that link confirms that the main roads in my area are covered.