TomTom Rider 550 - Page 3 — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 550

13»

Comments

• ArecArec Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you so much for helping me out.. I am just hesitant because of the unclear voice over Sena communicator or bluetooth system, most people said it sounded hoarse voice, is it true? I am using Sena 20s by the way.. Thanks again.

Hi,
    You're very welcome. However I know I did not helped much. I wish to have more extensive knowledge to compare TomTom and Garmin, but at that point it wasn't possible.
    As per voice instructions I did not noticed any issues, but I'm using Interphone Tour not Sena. All instructions are clear and easy to understand. pairing my bluetooth set was dead easy. Apart from a bit annoying voice tone and instructions from older TomTom devices "bear right" (or whatever that should be spelling). Those things again are not fault. Some tolerate that way of instructions, some not. Personally I don't care as long as they are accurate, and point me to the destination correctly :-)
  • RidaventureRidaventure Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Arec wrote:
    Thank you so much for helping me out.. I am just hesitant because of the unclear voice over Sena communicator or bluetooth system, most people said it sounded hoarse voice, is it true? I am using Sena 20s by the way.. Thanks again.
    Hi,
    You're very welcome. However I know I did not helped much. I wish to have more extensive knowledge to compare TomTom and Garmin, but at that point it wasn't possible.
    As per voice instructions I did not noticed any issues, but I'm using Interphone Tour not Sena. All instructions are clear and easy to understand. pairing my bluetooth set was dead easy. Apart from a bit annoying voice tone and instructions from older TomTom devices "bear right" (or whatever that should be spelling). Those things again are not fault. Some tolerate that way of instructions, some not. Personally I don't care as long as they are accurate, and point me to the destination correctly :-)

Thanks again. Perhaps the tone or intonation is normal & the person behind the tomtom navigation could be husky himself. ? Cheers! Have a safe ride always! ?
  • MuscadelMuscadel Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ive had my 550 for a while now. Changed from the Garmin 595Lm to the 550 mainly because of the almost unreadably dim, fuzzy display on the new Zumo
    so far the TomTom Rider 550 has given some real headaches...
    1. Lean into a corner, and the orientation flips to portrait, so lock it in landscape mode unless you want to be seriously annoyed
    2. traffic wont work, known issue, no answers or updates, safety cameras also not working...
    3. no music control... urgh
    4. Phone function paired with an iPhone 8 plus starts music playing on the phone..wtf
    5. no elevation data
    6. no real data page... come on TomTom
    7. no “Cockpit” page...
    actually, the only nice thing about it right now is the clarity of the screen
    its off my bike untill a serious update is released
    sooooo much can be fixed with a firmare update and some software coding. In a waning market one would think they will try harder...
  • JoseMJoseM Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the new 550 came from the 400. The one thing i notice from the start is the speed. Also i dont have any problems with the traffic it works well.
    I also have Tomtom in smartphone that I use in the car and I like the functionality of have routes or our locals sync in both.
    I didn't use the phone in the motorcycle because of the gloves or the elements.
    You can say that we dindt have to use the gloves while riding but I think it's a matter of conscience if you are in motorway, stopped on traffic....
    But what I would like to is to have a player or a radio station on the Rider.
    I can't understand why because many people ask it. And I think the most important thing is the consumer.
    Maybe you don't have the knowledge to do it.
  • eatonjbeatonjb Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    I got the new 500, I am disapponted with it.

BT is never stable, it seems that after about 3 times of getting on and off the bike i have to reboot the entire unit.

Speed, yes, a lot faster but not as responsive enough.

texting, why? it seems quite useless.

no media controls. this would be epic. but not there.

tracks,- I can not send tracks to my phone anymore via Bluetooth, i have to use an SD card, and them put it in a computer, I want to be able to send it to my phone so i can put it in google so i can send it out to facebook for example.

screen is too shiny, if the sun is behind me, ikes!

I'm returning it right now, im gonna find something a little more reliable, not as frustrating to use.
  • RichaudRichaud Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just used my 550 for the first time. Actually thinking of Selling it and going back to my rider 400. You totally messed ut the function to call someone and to answer. That is now something between the phone and the interco/headset. The TomTom rider is now just a caller id function. To call it depends on google asstant that i useless inother languages then English.
  • Dave55Dave55 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Richaud wrote:
    Just used my 550 for the first time. Actually thinking of Selling it and going back to my rider 400. You totally messed ut the function to call someone and to answer. That is now something between the phone and the interco/headset. The TomTom rider is now just a caller id function. To call it depends on google asstant that i useless inother languages then English.
    I agree, what a mess TomTom have made of the phone function, far better on the older versions. Why change a good system i just wanted a faster processor to speed things up.
    As to this text on screen and whats app, it does kinda work to read them etc but mine never pairs the same way twice, knocks the phone media player off then it doesn't.
    Its Bluetooth reliability is appalling. Hope we get some firmware upgrades soon.
  • PFWILPFWIL Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have the same issues.. bought the 550 due to the iphone X gps being about as precise as a 3 yr old kid with a paper map.. have otherwise been using tomtom go and previous versions since the first tomtom for the very first smartphone came (on a qtek 1010).....

anyways.. data via bluetooth - even though it says connected, no data is transmitted between my iphone and tomtom (since the "no traffic grey bar" stays.. )

only way I can get everything working is if I use my phones hotspot or a wifi dongle. which is a bit cumbersome having to activate every time i get into my car or on my motorbike.... also when having activated the wifi and the Rider is connected it takes 5-10min before it loads the traffic info.. which means by that time i might have driven into traffic that i could otherwise have avoided...

also the message reader is useless.. half my messages being in danish and the other half english.. the caller id is kind of useful if you have your phone in a pocket (if it connects.. which is a 50/50). but when riding my motorcycle i have my phone on my handlebar too, so thats not needed either..

also the navigation voice is hoarse as others have said (i use a Sena 10U) and iv tried everything to make that work, but no matter what i do the "turn right" and so on, sounds like you are getting out of range of the bluetooth and is breaking up - oh and its loud as hell and the volume cant be adjusted.. (i listen to radio via my phone, which has a low output.. so when tomtom says anything on top of the radio, aside from being hoarse as hell, its shouting me off the bike basically) so a volume rocker for the bluetooth connection would be nice (aside from just fixing the connection)

When i got the Rider I had to update maps - and i bought it on a vacation a few weeks back, and used hotspot from my iphone X (which had a 50/50mbit connection at the time and place) and it took me 12 hours to update 5GBs of maps?!?!?!?! had to start driving with it still updating the following morning.. (though after coming home and using my home wifi it updated fast (within 1 hr) which i dont understand since wifi is wifi... (and dont start with the cellular speed is unreliable and all that - i have worked in telecommunications and tested the speed every few hrs without any drops, so that wasnt the issue)

While driving the interface is also very slow with 2sec response times which is very distracting while driving (i know i shouldn't use it while driving - but one does on occasion regardless). you get used to this part - but its rly not helping the case.. as i never had that issue with the iphone.

Am I going to try getting a refund?! I dont know... is it worth the money.. No.. not right now.. would it be if everything it has actually worked. then yes..

on a positive note - its wonderful having a GPS which actually knows my position unlike the iphones crap GPS. (my iphone x is useless, sometimes throws me 50m to one side while using Tomtom Go (any any other app) which then makes that go crazy if there are small roads where it thinks i am... try using that in Paris.. no thanks... my previous iphones has never had this problem, but has just not been super precise but usable at least... this is apparently an iphone x thing.. )

little addition of mediaplayer controls and maybe a Tunein radio player would be epic as someone else has mentioned already.

Soo all in all... Good for Tomtom that iphones are crap so they can get some customers.. to bad that the product is so poorly tested that the customers are unhappy..
    If Tomtom needs a product manager im happy to be of service - since it know that its possible to fix these issue!!! hence please do!!
    oh and the my drive route thing.. also useless.. why is it that you cant edit a route on your device when its activated?

I had a route in germany planned for some twisties.. and aparently 2 of the roads involved were blocked.. so when activating the route - instead of just finding the closest alternative and letting me know, the rider just said "route not possible" or something to same effect and cleared the route..

now im putting in favorites on the mydrive app instead of waypoints and letting them transfer to the Rider.. that way i at least can find alternatives incase of traffic and alike ... again another disappointment for my €500.
    having tons of random favorite locations on my Rider is a bit of a hassle, but it does the job.
    sorry about the typo's in the last few posts :)

just found out why the map update was so horrible slow via phone Wifi.
    During my drive home from work (24km) the tomtom was again updating all the way, even though it was only a 5mb update.

Turns out that the Tomtom Rider prefers data via bluetooth instead of wifi even if wifi is connected ............................... turned off the data via bluetooth in the settings of the Rider and boom.. update in no time... im a bit lost for words.. it honestly feels like this device has never been tested at all prior to launch...
  • motifmotif Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
    I just wanted to switch from garmin zumo and your posts are not so encouraging.
    I am interested d only in navigation part of the device because I hate this on garmin.
    All these other feature you are complaining about are IMO not important, e.g. media controlling I have on my headset etc
    The navi part on its own works great!
    Its just all the other features around it thats a bit of a pain.. Tomtom are releasing updates constantly, and some have helped slightly on a few of my issues- but nothing is solved as far as im concerned.. I still have my 550, so even with all the greif I still like the unit and use it daily..
  • lemaguslemagus Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Just finished a 1,000 mi trip with the 550 (for the first time) and it worked very well. I'm coming from a Garmin Montana and though there is no off road capability with the Rider, the screen, form factor and ease of use are great. I had the poor audio as well until I switched to the a2dp audio mode and then the sound was excellent.

Only issue I experienced,, and it is a real pita, is that in a2dp mode, the spoken directions will often kill any music playing and no music will return until, maybe, another spoken direction. This can be really annoying when music gets shut off for a long period of time.

Overall, very happy with the unit.