TomTom Rider 550 - Page 2 — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider 550

Comments

• I'll be interested to read reviews on the new 550.
    I just hope that the usually superfluous and irritating 'bear left or right' commands can be switched off.
    I'd guess that in 98 or 99 times out of a 100 it simply means follow the road you're on but there's a bend coming up. A stupid distraction that potentially takes attention away from your riding.
  • NaMcONaMcO Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problems as all of you with my Rider 410. Often disconnects from the phone (OnePlus 3T, then the OnePlus 5T) even when tethering is enabled. I need to go into settings and connect manually through the GPS so that it "sees" the connection.

The CPU is indeed pretty slow for such a high price tag, the case is sturdy and i really like it, but, again, the screen is crap when compared to the Navigator VI for example. The Navigator is massively overpriced probably to make up for some features, but still it shouldn't be too hard to fit a nicer screen on the TomTom at 399.

The 550 will stay on the shelves for me either until i read REALLY positive reviews about it or if a return/trade-in option is offered.

Yet again, like most, i doubt TomTom will do it. Might as well look for alternatives.
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 115 [Revered Navigator]
    Has anyone discovered the difference between the 500 and the 550. I had a cursory look and couldn't spot anything immediately.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    :sunglasses:68cfa113-4371-42ad-a17d-7fcb55bc38cd.jpg
    Ah thanks for that, on quick inspection I didn't see it.
  • basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    I would even go further and say that on the 500, only the western european countries are covered

Andorra
    Austria
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Ireland
    Italy
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Malta
    Monaco
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Portugal
    San Marino
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom
    the Vatican City

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/drive/motorcycle/products/rider-500/

Basically the same coverage as rider 40, but with lifetime everything https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/motorcycle-sat-nav/products/rider-40/

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
    I guess the description is full of mistakes.

Traffic and speed cameras in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia but no maps?
    Speed cameras in Switzerland?

And in Germany:
    8f6481d8-1fdc-4bb6-9b3e-c610507d65e3.jpgTypical TomTom !!!
  • basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    Also in Belgium, both devices are priced equally. It makes no sense to get the 500 if you ask me.

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    basix wrote:
    Also in Belgium, both devices are priced equally. It makes no sense to get the 500 if you ask me.
    Haha Basix :)
    It seems to get speed cameras and traffic information in the UK you have to buy the 550
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,120 Superusers
    The same in France:

1ff60a2d-dbd0-4f55-988f-ad1b8d1a2fa2.png
    GO6200
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 45 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    So the countries mapped are the only differences between the 500 and the 550? Will the 5xx series finally be able to play music like their Garmin competitors?
    As far as I know there will not be a facility to play music, and personally I don't want or need it. You can play music through you smartphone if you need to depending on your chosen headset.
    It's a shame. To each his own, of course, but having a functionality doesn't force you to use it if you don't want it. It would have been useful because nowadays phones with sd cards are rarer and rarer.

PS This is one of the reasons why I think I am better off buying a rugged phone like the Cat S41 https://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s41-8848.php , with a larger (5,000 mAh) battery, to use as a dedicated satnav with the TomTom or Waze app: the battery lasts longer than that of the Rider, it's got a microsd card slot for music, it's waterproof, it's cheaper, it's less bulky, I can tether it to my main phone via bluetooth to get traffic updates.

To be honest the only advantage I can see in the Rider is being able to use gloves, but that's not something we should do while riding, and, once you pull over, taking a glove off to touch the screen is not the end of the world.

Or am I missing something?

If the satnav were integrated in the bike, eg with a wheel on the left handlebar like Garmin's satnav and some BMW bikes, it would be a different story, to be honest.
    Exactly what I said about reading text messages. If playing music through the GPS is your thing then Garmin have had the facility for years. If I feel the need to listen to music while riding (very rare) I listen to it through my phone. I would rather listen to the music coming from the exhaust.
    You guys are missing the point that, paradoxically, most modern phones can store way less music than some of the first Androids with sd card slots: sd slots have become rarer and rarer; the internal storage has grown, but so has the space required by the operating system and by most apps. Of course if you're an iphone user and you've never had a micro sd slot you may not feel the difference, but even iphone users have large music collection that don't fit on their phones. I don't care too much where music is played from, and if phones with sd slots were still common I wouldn't mind, but now that they're not having a satnav with an sd slot for music would be convenient.
    With mobile data allowances getting bigger and bigger you can just stream music if you need to have your head full of music.
    Yes, but:
    1. streaming high quality music uses lots of data
    2. doesn't work when there's no data connection (riding in rural areas, tunnels, etc)
    3. why pay for a streaming service to stream music you already own?
    4. cost aside, recreating your playlist in a streaming service can be a pain
    Of course these things are very subjective and I appreciate that there are lots of people who don't miss this functionality. But, equally, there are people who do. When you charge so much for a product which is practically identical to the predecessor, it would have been nice to have added this feature.
    Thank you for pointing this out. I personally have no need for the facility to listen to music. All of this is moot as we will not get the facility. Garmin is your alternative.
  • rwoudrwoud Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    just received my tomtom550 today, connected in to my iphone 7plus no problem but then had trouble pairing to my sena 20s, eventually got that to work... gues what? hoarse sound with spoken directions. i have only just read back this forum and might have to try turning my phone bluetooth or hotspot on/off to see if this improves but for me this being my first satnav on the bike its a big downturn
  • ArecArec Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Received 550 a week ago and went for a spin. First of all, pairing with Interphone was easy, with my android phone as well. Done that using MyDrive app. And this app annoying me like hell... It's never go to sleep mode, even when I had not connected TomTom at all. have to kill it every time to prevent battery drain. Who design it? Also That app despite it should keep connection alive between phone, and BT set, have some issue doing that. Generally a bit junk.
    The second thing. I expected that with Rider 550 will came as well ProTyre code like for previous Riders for long time now. What's my surprise when I get answer from TomTom support:
    "I received information from the senior technical team that the latest TomTom RIDER 550 does not come with the Tyre Pro software owing to lot of limitations faced by the customers using the software."
    What kind of "lot of limitations" ?!?! What's a bull....t.
    ProTyre have more functionality in basic mode than any TomTom branded software added to very expensive product. Or I don't know something, and TomTom released fantastic software I'm not aware of.
    Despite annoying mobile application and issues with ProTyre device itself is OK.
    Still can't play music from it - but I'm using music online on my phone anyway, so never looked for that one.
    WiFi connection is very nice perk. No hassle with cables, software, setup, and all of that stuff. Just working.
    This one is quicker than 450 I tested. Quite significantly. So that's nice as well.
    I have few trips coming so will be testing it further.
    So far I'm a bit disappointed. And I think with that price you really can consider Garmin as a rival.
  • RidaventureRidaventure Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Planning to get a new GPS, which do you think is better Rider 550 or Zumo 590?
    Rider 550
  • ArecArec Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After some time using my Rider 550 I can't say it is bad overall. In fact it quite quick, responsive, intuitive and nice device.
    The issues I'm not happy about are not device itself. It is Mydrive Android app which do not working as intended. Also response from TomTom support about their decision to plug off Tyre code for new Rider is some kind of totally nonsense (check their response in my post above).
    About which one is better I can't answer that question easy. I did not had a chance to ride with Garmin. Just had 595 in my hands and wasn't really impressed about interface design. I have no idea how that one working on the road, so I can't recommend something I never used.
  • RidaventureRidaventure Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Arec wrote:
    After some time using my Rider 550 I can't say it is bad overall. In fact it quite quick, responsive, intuitive and nice device.
    The issues I'm not happy about are not device itself. It is Mydrive Android app which do not working as intended. Also response from TomTom support about their decision to plug off Tyre code for new Rider is some kind of totally nonsense (check their response in my post above).
    About which one is better I can't answer that question easy. I did not had a chance to ride with Garmin. Just had 595 in my hands and wasn't really impressed about interface design. I have no idea how that one working on the road, so I can't recommend something I never used.
    Thank you so much for helping me out.. I am just hesitant because of the unclear voice over Sena communicator or bluetooth system, most people said it sounded hoarse voice, is it true? I am using Sena 20s by the way.. Thanks again.