TomTom Rider 550 — TomTom Community

Comments

• RafałRafał Posts: 42 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi!
    Great news, new opportunity to spend more money is comming!
    What about unsolved problems in previous editions (400, 410) like screen water activation, bluetooth connection and range of compatibility, condensation etc etc.

TomTom board thinks that people will throw out the older devices and with big smile on the face will go to the shop for brand new 550?? No way, common guys, go down to the reality! I've spent a lot of money (I mean too much) for 410 in may 2016.

We'll wait for the reviews. Is the 550 better than predecessors? I hope but I don't think so... :-(
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    So that's the end of updates for the 400 series. I thought as much, as there has not been new updates for a while. I suspected that a new Rider launch was getting close. All the development will be focused on the 550 as it's bugs.

TomTom have gone for the quad core hardware for the 550, which is effectively saying that the 400 hardware wasn't up to the job - as we all know!
    ChrisHall wrote:
    ... All the development will be focused on the 550 as it's bugs.

We'll se...I'm not so optimistic...especially with the bugs...
    Maybe someone knows something about predicted price for R550?
  • TidusTidus Posts: 34 [Master Explorer]
    it is already published 399€ and 499€ for standard and premiun.. as the others at the launch time.

the quad core processor.. is a good signal that tomtom learn that the "old versions harware" are not enough.. (we knew this also).. we will see if this change solves the issues of communications throw bluetooth (I expect they introduce a newer bluetooh hardware version.. and implement more bluetooth specifications).. if they didn't.. then it will be another faulty gps...

I had a 400 and now a 450 that just yesterday I returned as the communication problems were still in there.. and the same... I will wait for product reviews.. to see if they have learn from they faults and now it works as all riders would need to work from the start and ever..
    If the R550 will be realy good, It will be nice to get a VERY SPECIAL exchange offer for the 4xx owners....but I think I'm dreaming... :disappointed:...

if not, let the R550 be in stock
  • MonkehMonkeh Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I hope there is a massive discount for trading in the not fit for purpose 4xx series. That is assuming this one works as intended.
  • TidusTidus Posts: 34 [Master Explorer]
    Yes, I already think its a dreaming.. not just for the exchange offers (I didn't think it will happen), but also that they solve the already discussed old issues of the 4xx riders on this new 550.. but I never lost the hope...
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,120 Superusers
    Last year, i sold a kidney for buying a Iphone 7 and now the iphone X is on the market! I hope that Apple will exchange my old Iphone 7 for a Iphone X and free of charge!

:grinning::wink:
    GO6200
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    The 400 series had some SERIOUS issues with the hardware and should never have been sold.
    1. Screen problems - rain, condensation and poor colour saturation
    2. Processor - was woefully under-powered for what was required of it.
    3. Bluetooth. Poor choice of hardware meant that with a data connection the voice instructions were unclear (- she sounded like she need a damn good cough!)
    So, TomTom should do a generous trade-in. I can't see it happening though.
  • MarcopanchoMarcopancho Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Still having major issues with Bluetooth connection to iPhone (iOS). Tried different phones and now tomtom acknowledges issues with iOS. Not keen on buying the 550 A’s like most people here, have spent a fortune on the 400 and it doesn’t work properly.

Also so was hoping for a built in SIM card... no sign of that.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,120 Superusers
    And no galileo support, what a shame!
    GO6200
    On the March 1. is planned commercial start of the MyRoute-app navigation for Android.
    Maybe it's the alternative. I think about it very seriously.
  • PhillRPhillR Posts: 15 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No built in SIM, There having a laugh, its one of the reasons I didn't buy a 450. Missed opportunity again !!!!!
  • MarcopanchoMarcopancho Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Quite bizarre isn’t it? Not sure as to the reason why not? Would have resolved the issue with hotspot from iPhone troubles. My 5200 works perfectly so it’s not like they don’t have the working technology already! So it’ll be another Rider series that will fail to reach the market audience, well the current users I mean. Sticking with my 400...again.
  • basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    I'd give tomtom another chance. I've heard that now you need a tomtom app (mydrive?) on you phone instead of the default bluetooth tethering since this has been problematic on recent phones that seem to disable the tethering option at will. It might be so that you can chose to tether without this app as well.

Seeing that there has been no update for the 4xx range lately (latest update October 2017), I'm guessing this feature will also be part of (one of) the next update(s) for the 4xx range and we can expect this about a month after the product release of the 5xx range (May 2018)

The 4xx range was based on now 7 to 8-year old technology, single core SoC and android 4 platform. It now seems they chose to finally abandon that legacy platform and go for a newer multi-core SoC with hopefully a more recent android platform as well. I am expecting probably Android 7.

There are sayings that the device boots up from cold start in a mere 20 seconds, probably the fast boot option on the newer Android platform (quick power on, nothing to do with fastboot/bootloader mode).

Fingers crossed that the existing users still get nice updates.

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
  • basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    And concerning the hoarse voice issues, no matter what they will do for the 4xx range, as long as the android 4.0 platform is used, an not updated to at least 4.2, the issues will remain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.2_Jelly_Bean_(API_17)
    "Rewritten Bluetooth stack, switching from Bluez to Broadcom open source BlueDroid,"
    "Fixed Bluetooth audio streaming bugs"

Edit:
    Probably it is based on Marshmallow (Android 6)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_6.0_Marshmallow_(API_23)

Source:
    A TomTom BRIDGE device is a 'standard' Android device, currently running Marshmallow 6.0, API level 23. Minimal
    https://developer.tomtom.com/bridge/develop/navapp-sdk

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
  • MrGPSMrGPS Posts: 27 [Apprentice Traveler]
    basix wrote:
    I'd give tomtom another chance. I've heard that now you need a tomtom app (mydrive?) on you phone instead of the default bluetooth tethering since this has been problematic on recent phones that seem to disable the tethering option at will. It might be so that you can chose to tether without this app as well.

To avoid confusion:

Rider 4xx
    The Rider 4xx uses the Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network). Advantage is that you can connect without any app installed. Disadvantage is that it requires Bluetooth tethering to be manually activated.

Problem is that, why BT is turned on/off the tethering has to be re-activated every time. Extra problem is that Android seems to sometimes deactivate/activate Bluetooth automatically (or due to some conflict); at least thats what I think happens on my samsung S7 Edge. Result is that you often need to manually re-activate tethering.

Solution for this is to install an extra (non tomtom) app like 'blue car tethering'. This app allows you to tell you Phone to automatically activate tethering when a specific device is connected. It's an easy to use free app that, for me, has solved the tethering-trouble.

Rider 550
    The Rider 550 can still connect this way but can also use the MyDrive app, using direct serial connection via 'bluetooth low energy connection'. This connection allows extra options and does not need tethering to be active. Thus making the connection more stable and enables e.g. Google now and receiving notifications.

For the Rider 4xx users I would highly recommend to try e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xplota.bluecartetheringauto&hl=nl

One other remark, regarding processor-speed:
    The 550 had a faster processor, which is nice. However: for those who have trouble with slow respons of the rider 4xx I would recommend to turn 'orientation-lock' ON.
    (settings-appearance-display-orientation lock).

Reason: rotation seems to use a lot of processorpower. Holding the device in your hand the rotiation-sensor can easily be triggered accidentally. Locking orientation will prevent this. Depending on the type of bike (vibrations) it also can prevent problems while riding.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Revered Navigator]
    PhillR wrote:
    No built in SIM, There having a laugh, its one of the reasons I didn't buy a 450. Missed opportunity again !!!!!
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-traffic-live-and-other-services-47/2g-vodafone-data-shutdown-in-australia-march-2018-1032204/index1.html#post1211489

4c2f6dc9-418c-4d82-9626-92556e1f22d2.jpg
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 115 [Revered Navigator]
    As already said, it's a shame we are not getting SIM card functionality as it would make the unit totally independent. As the technology is already available it seems crazy not to use it. As motorcyclists we always seem to be a step behind in technology terms with Tomtom.
    Come on Tomtom get your act together and get us motorcyclists in front of the curve rather than behind it.
  • biquerbiquer Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Is adding SMS capability and more connectivity not just adding to the elephant in the room that is 'distracted driving?'
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 115 [Revered Navigator]
    biquer wrote:
    Is adding SMS capability and more connectivity not just adding to the elephant in the room that is 'distracted driving?'
    Just because the capability is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The new Rider 550 will be able to read sms to your intercom. With the hoarse voice.
    The first generation was usable only after few software updates (still not in 100%), do you think the new platform will start will all functions working as advertised?
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Text messages on a motorcycle satnav screen? :/

I guess, Tomtom doesn't understand, how important safety is on a motorcycle...

I'd rather see some real AND functional improvements on the 4xx series before creating another malfunctioning, fatal device with loads of useless functions! :D
  • eatonjbeatonjb Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    I would like to say that I am looking forward to the newest version, but even knowing they finaly put a decent processor I think its a little too late. I am having too many problems with the one I have. not really problems, but it's slow, not responsive, lacking too many settings that should just be there. HARD to type on , etc. etc.

the BT thing gets me the most, I have to tell it to connect every time, no way to get it to work on its own, not to mention, that it stopped working after a Oreo was installed on my phone until I deleted my Pebble watch software, the poor use of BT is the culprit.

I wonder if the new one will work well with my Sena 20S and my phone, having two OK Google devices do not sound like it will work well.

Well, unless they have a better trade system for a 400 to a 500 I am going to stay fast and get another brand.