Fitness points working but fitness age not updating

CraigMann
CraigMann Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi, I have been getting my points using the fitness age comonent of the Tomtom Spark 3 Cardio but I notice my fitness age hasnt updated for some time. I have never seen it update but if I look back in my history it did infact fluctuate over time but has been set on the same fitness age now for about the past 18 months. Doesnt seem to matter how many points I get or exercises I do, it never changes.

I have my height, weight, age settings all correct. I frequently update my weight.

I originally put it down to taking some time to update but since I realized a few months back, it hasn't changed at all. I am now riding a push bike 8.1km each way for a work commute, swimming and running a few times a month and it says my fitness age is 49. I just turned 34 and while I am not the fittest person, I would think my fitness age would fluctuate the more or less exercise I do?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,939
    Superuser
    It only factors in running and cycling activities where the HR is in Zone 3 or better, so swimming and freestyle will not change it. To see any noticeable change you would really need to be exercising daily to a high HR to get your VO2Max up. Running a few times a month will not have any impact. I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • CraigMann
    CraigMann Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you very much for replying. Doesnt bother me too much, just thought I wasnt using it correctly or didnt have it set up right. I had a week where I was running and cycling so had 3 stars and was in the red zone and yet my fitness age still didnt change.

Not too fussed as at the end of the day it is all just data, the exercise I do is good whether it goes on my watch or not.

Thanks for the feedback, it was helpful.
  • oscar366313
    oscar366313 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I've noticed the same. It shows previous fluctuation but doesn't move now. I run around 5 miles almost every other day, and it doesn't seem to change. I've also been hitting the 3 stars and sometimes even the overdrive on the fitness points and still no change. I'm 27 years old and it says my fitness age is 42.

And no, this isn't a huge deal, but it's annoying that it doesn't adjust.
  • Arvjan
    Arvjan Registered Users Posts: 8
    Apprentice Seeker
    In my experience increasing my VO2max depends not on fitness points acquired but on the speed/heartrate ratio when running (in cycling or other modes it's probably different).

For example a while ago I ran a marathon in a fairly quick pace and I got a slightly dissappointing 1100 or so fitnesspoints for it.
    Just because my HR didn't go up above let's say 150 bpm my fitness points didn't reach up into 'overdrive'. But without any high fitness points my VO2max did increase though because I ran relatively hard at a low heart rate (and I guess fitness age would be lower but mine was at 20 already and could not get any lower).
    I haven't read any official explanations of how the fitness age gets it's value by TomTom so I'm just guessing it works the way I describe.

I think the watch in my case certainly is reasonably accurate in estimating my VO2max. That is, if the heart rate is measured accurately, without erroneous 'spikes' and 'lows'. Which is not always the case unfortunately due to for instance cold weather outside which causes the blood vessels to narrow, causing the watch to read the step rate rather than the heart rate (from what I've read on this forum).

Maybe you could try running faster at a lower heart rate and see if your fitness age will ameliorate? Of course that's easier said than done.